Speed control of exhaust fan

I would be grateful for some advice on what is the most efficient way to speed control an exhaust fan?

Not knowing much about motors, it is a 240 volt unit 0.45 amps.

JD

Reply to
John Dunkley

"John Dunkley"

** A variac will likely work just fine.

So might a phase control dimmer designed to control fan motors.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Electrical wholesaler will have plenty. Try this Clipsal one, but plenty of others.

David

Reply to
David

**Assuming the motor is a synchronous type, your chances are limited. PA's idea of a VariacT is ideal, but expensive and bulky. I know people who have put a lamp in parallel with the motor and used a standard light dimmer. I can't guarantee the results, but it should work. Another good way is to place the motor in series with a bridge rectifier (and the mains supply). Across the DC connections of the bridge, connect a MOSFET (suitable rated and heat sinked, of course) and vary the Gate Volts to get speed control that way. The advantage is the motor can be varied over a very wide range.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

"Trevor Wilson" wrote

Assuming the motor is a synchronous type, your chances are limited.

***** Wilson,you must be joking,an exhaust fan with a synchronous motor,the mind boggles!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

All domestic mains powered exhaust fans I have ever seen use a simple shaded pole AC motor.

I think a synchronous motor would be a bit over the top for an exhaust fan :)

Kr

**Call it a brain fart. Of course a standard induction motor will be the type used. My other comments and suggestions remain.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au