Speaker Source Selection

Good Afternoon,

I have what I believe not to be a unique situation. I have three amplifiers, and a set of speakers. I need each amplifier for something different (ones the big home one, ones my personal one and ones because my personal one doesn't have any aux in. Each has 8 ohm speaker connections.

I need to be able to connect each of them, with a seperate volume control, to the speakers. My Intention was to use 3 Pots (the double ones) - one connected to each amplifier and the two speakers connected to the outputs of these. Will this work? And what Pots will I need?

Please - any help would be greatly appreciated

Lachlan

Reply to
lochok

A great way to blow up all your amplifiers! You need a speaker switch. Only one amplifier can have a physical connection at any time.

Reply to
Rod

Bugger... There is no way for me to do it?

What will I do? Like use a speaker switch in reverse (with the different amps on the speaker jacks and the speakers in the input)?

Lochok

Reply to
lochok

Sounds like an ideal solution.

Reply to
Rod

**Dumb idea. You will probably destroy at least one of the amplifiers in this way. You should use a switch, but even this method is fraught with problems. You would be better off using ONE amp for ONE pair of speakers.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**You could use switches, but that is fraught with dangers.
**ONE amp - ONE pair of speakers. Easy.

Like use a speaker switch in reverse (with the different

**That can work, but it is still quite risky.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Use a couple of DI boxes to run the outputs of the two smaller amps into line inputs of the big amp and run the whole show from the big amp?

Reply to
swanny

DI boxes. What makes you think any of the amps have balanced inputs? Why not just feed the tape out's into line inputs? Or use the headphone outputs if you want to control volume from the first amp.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

It doesn't matter whether the inputs are balanced or not. You can still use DI boxes. The OP didn't say that the amps had tape outs either. Just that there were 3 amps and 1 set of speakers. He wanted to connect each one with a separate volume control to the 1 set of speakers. I was thinking, rather than connect all the amps to the speakers, just connect one, and provide an attenuator from the output of each amp to bring it down to line level and feed it into line inputs on the main amp (if they are available).

Reply to
swanny

One does have a tape out... but it is a weird proprietory connection on a Sony system. The other I can run from a headphone and use the third's spare inputs in the way you suggested

I was considering something similar to this - how well do attenuators work?

Lachlan

Reply to
lochok

And you would need to why exactly?

Well using the volume controls on each amp, and the headphone output, or a resistive divider on each speaker output would achieve the same thing at FAR less cost. So why the need for DI's in that case?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T