sony digital optical output dropout

I recently purchased a Sony av receiver to go with my 3 year old Bravia Tv.
On connecting the optical digital output from the tv to the amplifier,  an
intermittent dropout of the sound became apparent.
The dropout is about a second long and can be spaced anywhere from part of a
second to 90 seconds or so. When I disconnected the Sony TV and connected
the Amp to a late model Samsung TV , the sound was ok.
Any ideas as to what is wrong with the Sony TV?  Do the output connections
need cleaning at all?. The TV is quite awkward to get off the wall as it is
very heavy etc and I can't get to anything without taking it off the wall. I
am using the RCA connections instead at the moment as the hdmi to the tv
doesn't appear to have audio return channel.

Re: sony digital optical output dropout

Might be dirt, dust, insect in the hole,  if you have had it for 3
years and never used the socket, and it has not been covered.

Re: sony digital optical output dropout

Might be dirt, dust, insect in the hole,  if you have had it for 3
years and never used the socket, and it has not been covered.

I'm hoping that's all it is. I shall put the vacuum cleaner over the hole.

Re: sony digital optical output dropout

Could also try using a drinking straw or similar small tube, and
blowing in it a few times to remove anything that shouldnt be in there.

Re: sony digital optical output dropout

Good thinking.

Site Timeline