sony digital optical output dropout

I recently purchased a Sony av receiver to go with my 3 year old Bravia Tv. On connecting the optical digital output from the tv to the amplifier, an intermittent dropout of the sound became apparent. The dropout is about a second long and can be spaced anywhere from part of a second to 90 seconds or so. When I disconnected the Sony TV and connected the Amp to a late model Samsung TV , the sound was ok. Any ideas as to what is wrong with the Sony TV? Do the output connections need cleaning at all?. The TV is quite awkward to get off the wall as it is very heavy etc and I can't get to anything without taking it off the wall. I am using the RCA connections instead at the moment as the hdmi to the tv doesn't appear to have audio return channel.

Reply to
bristan

v.

=A0an

f a

ons

is

. I

Might be dirt, dust, insect in the hole, if you have had it for 3 years and never used the socket, and it has not been covered.

Reply to
kreed

Might be dirt, dust, insect in the hole, if you have had it for 3 years and never used the socket, and it has not been covered.

I'm hoping that's all it is. I shall put the vacuum cleaner over the hole.

Reply to
bristan

=A0an

of

ed

tions

ll.

.

Could also try using a drinking straw or similar small tube, and blowing in it a few times to remove anything that shouldnt be in there.

Reply to
kreed

Good thinking.

Reply to