Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?

I'm trying to reach a decision to upgrade my home's old fuse box with
breakers. My sparkie suggested going to double pole combined RCD/
breakers. In thinking about it afterwards, I was wondering if there
was really any benefit in going that way versus single pole. By my
reckoning, as long as the active is cut, the circuit should be safe?
The only case where I could think a double pole breaker may benefit is
if it was possible to come in contact with an active from another
circuit (on a different breaker). But even if that did happen,
wouldn't it create an imbalance between active and neutral on the live
circuit and trigger the RCD there?

Yours in confusion.

Glenn

Re: Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?
Breaking both active a neutral negates any chance of getting a belt from
any potential in either line  , its entirely possible due to earthing
crossed wires etc etc that a supposedly stable nuetral can whack you
painfully
--

Re: Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?

double pole is probably a good idea on two-phase appliances. (dunno
what the US term is for that)  I can't see any advantage in cutting
the neutral yet leaving the earth wire connected to the exact same
point.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?
Glenn laid this down on his screen :

Yes I am an Australian and live in Australia.
I know the US NEC prohibits breaking the neutral, but I have been out
of touch with the AUS rules for a while and am not sure.
Technically there is no reason to break the neutral at the box.
Maybe someone with a more current (lol) view of the rules could
enlighten us.

--
John G

Re: Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?

It's illegal to break the neutral. It is also illegal for you to be doing
the work. Your 'Sparkie" aint a sparkie.

Re: Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?
was wondering how long it would take.

Re: Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?
although you should have said "in most cases" you should not break the
neutral (caravans) although they were talking about houses

Re: Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?

Got a problem mate?  I was talking about safety. Caravans didn't come into
the question. "my home's old fuse box " was the subject.  I wonder when you
say 'was wondering how long it would take." what you mean. Surely you are
not bagging me for making a couple of statements of safety to the bloke.
Perhaps you know better...............For your information. Caravans are
usually plugged into a 15A socket. If they are hard wired into a switchboard
from a sub board you don't break the neutral.

Yawn.......

Re: Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?

Wondering how long it would take for some sense instead of waffle

Re: Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?

You had better read AS3000:2007, Section 2.3.2.1.1 Section (b)(ii)
before you condemn the "Sparkie".

Perfectly legal for a circuit breaker  / switch to break the neutral and
active conductors if it a multi-pole switch or circuit breaker. In fact
I have yet to come across a RCBO or RCD that does not switch the neutral
as well as the active(s).

The original poster may have been confusing two module RCBOs for two
pole RCBOs, as two module width RCBO are cheaper than the more compact
single module RCBOs (which still switch both active and neutral)

David

Re: Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?

Apologies. I misread the original post. Thanks for pointing it

Site Timeline