Something Different - Page 5

Re: Something Different

So pray tell what it is that does the conducting?

And don't say electrons, because by that logic metals wouldn't be
considered conductors.

Me thinks you should go back to physics and chem 101. Or maybe better,

Bryan

Re: Something Different

I thought air was a good insulator too. How does ligning travel
through air? I beleive the term is called ionisation.

Re: Something Different

Here: http://wvlightning.com/trees.shtml

"Electricity seeks the path of least resistance, and the moisture (sap
and water) inside a tree is a much better conductor than air. The
result: a tree provides a preferred path for lightning to reach ground."

Now for the trick question: what contains the sap and moisture?
The answer starts with a "w" and ends with a "d" and has four letters.

I expect you'll now try to play with definitions about wood moisture
content or something.

Re: Something Different

some one's grey matter?

Re: Something Different

I beleive i have already quoted elsewhere a 'dry' piece of timber. I
beleive that the article you suggest also specifies 'sap and water'?

BTW. I have seen the results of dry, seasoned timber in lab lightning
tests. I can assure you that a 'dry' peice of timber will not conduct
any better than a piece of ceramic.

Re: Something Different

Plenty of dry wood in a thunderstorm.

Re: Something Different

You would be surprised.

Re: Something Different

There can be plenty of dry wood between metal
that gets the strike and the ground in buildings etc.

Re: Something Different

Doesn't mean it becomes a conductor. For instance ionisation will bridge the
gap and the wood simply burns because of the temperatures involved with a
strike.

Re: Something Different

Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
just the pathetic excuse for a troll that
any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Re: Something Different

When I see this standard canned message,
I always get a mental picture of some hapless fool
hiding behind a PC as the whistle of large bore
mortar rounds (usenet postings) falls all around
them as they wonder "What the F*&% did I do to
deserve this?".

Re: Something Different

What amuses me, is that it bears an uncanny resemblance to a guy i
used to work with called greg. I often wonder....

Re: Something Different

What sort of car did he drive?

Re: Something Different

Some terminal fuckwit pom claiming to be
just the puerile shit thats all it can ever manage.

Re: Something Different

Rod BABY!! dontcha remember me??

Re: Something Different

Corse I remember you.

Re: Something Different

There aren't too many laptop cases with any earthing ability anyway. I don't
think that the plastic case on my Dell would conduct too much.

Anyway, if you're that worried, you could just hammer a nail or two into it.

Re: Something Different

They're pretty pricey too

Re: Something Different

I recently saw that Bunnings has some adhesive backed veneers for about $15 a
sheet
(about 450mm x 900mm) teak, jarrah, tasmanian oak, etc.

Re: Something Different

sheet

But this isn't some el cheapo sheet. What they do is strip
your pc or laptop and put it into a custom made housing
which has wood on the outside

Site Timeline