Something Different - Page 4

Re: Conduction at high voltage: rubber

Better to get rid of the jacket and the braid at the higher voltages.

Re: Something Different

Someone posted ----

Those figures show that wood exposed to 80% humidity at 22C for a period of
72 hours is more conductive than the same wood after only 24 hours.

The wood is absorbing moisture so it conducts better - the fibreglass does
also but not to the same extent.

The conclusion is that the water in the wood is doing the conducting.

Now, whose argument does that support, if anyones ?

Re: Something Different

Ok then, does fibreglass resin absorb water?? as it's also increasing in
conductivity. I would go for a breakdown mechanism in the material
first. If you want the figure for wet timber then go to that URL as it's
figure are on the same page.

Also note that at 50KV and 120uA translates to 6 watts of heating in a
20 cm length of wood, this would tend to slowly drive off moisture.

Re: Something Different

All it shows is that Rod is wrong, again.

Re: Something Different

It is if the wood is wet. Take a look at any photo of a lab strike to
a dry peice of timber. The lighning travels around the outside of the
timber. Put a piece of plastic next to the piece of wood, and the
plastic will also produce the same effect. I beleive the term is
called flashover. The same phenomena affects ceramic insulators.

Re: Something Different

Irrelevant to the general question about whether
wood, like any insulator CAN BE a conductor.

Re: Something Different

The point being dickhead? Its not the material that is conducting the
lightning, it is only assisting it. It is ionised air that conducts.
So the answer is no, the wood is not conducting electricity.

Re: Something Different

I was gunna opt out of this thread but I have to clarify a point or two.

The people under the bandstand were covered by the roof. Now it may have
been that the strike ionised the air all around, and inside, but I
guarantee that the wooden structure (mostly dry - it had a roof
remember) was also a path.

Have you ever seen a large tree split in half by lightning? What has
happened? Think about what forces are occurring in that tree to
literally blow it apart. What is it that has passed through the wood, to
cause, I assume, a large build up of gas?

I get the feeling that a few otherwise intelligent engineers, techs etc,
don't quite appreciate just how powerful lightning is...

Re: Something Different

Green Electricity generation , your on to something here ralph .

Re: Something Different

I have also seen lab tests on dry timber.

Some recent research has suggested that the rare positive ground
strikes can be upto 6 times more powerful than is commonly believed.
Likewise, the sprites from positive CG strikes have only been really
discovered in the last ten or so years, and a sprite projects 90km up
into the atmosphere. That's about 60-70km above the higher clouds. not
bad when you consider the average ground strike is only around 10km
max.

I was watching a doco that other night that made a suggestion that
space shuttle columbia crash may have been a result of a positive CG
strike.

Re: Something Different

Wrong, as always.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it aint.

Wrong, as always.

Re: Something Different

Oh, I'm sorry, it must be the carbon ions forming
a conductive plasma as the cellulose is explosively
vapourised.Either you know something about dielectric
physics you aren't telling us or you are being a
nitpicking dickhead.

Re: Something Different

om.au...

Lets see , Carbon is used in low voltage batteries , wow with only 1.5 volts
present . TTL is 5 volts .
Man , now Im worried !!!

Re: Something Different

<NITPICK>
And you should be. Carbon is used in some cells. With carbon/zinc or
alkaline you get the 1.5 V you sprout about.

A battery is a number of cells connected in series and / or parallel

How you manage to get from the voltage of a lightning strike to a
carbon/zinc cell is quite a step.

</NITPICK>

ps  still think a file is created when cloning a disk ???

Re: Something Different

Its an option

Re: Something Different

That you had it completely wrong is immutable fact - not an option.

Re: Something Different

In Law Enforcement an image or clone file is created FYI .

Its an exact sector copy of the entire hard drive and there are loads of 3rd
party apps that do the same and reproduce this on an identical physical or
logical drive .

How did I have it wrong ? , I think your wrong in your conclusions . Have
another go on this most basic of topics .

Re: Something Different

No such animal.

You claimed that an image file is always involved. You are wrong.

Nope, as I proved with the example of an almost full hard drive being
cloned to the same sized drive, there is nowhere to put the image file.

Its you that need to do that.

Re: Something Different

Check out * encase * dickhead . Its the only software used in courts in the
US .

You sure havnt got a clue fool .

Its an option and it * depends * on the software used . You only use True
Image , sure its does on the fly cloning but thats only one small option for
cloning drives , there are 50 products out there and your speaking about 1
thats not used by the professionals . Why take an image if its not a backup
and repeatable on the deployment .Also a file is much easier to audit for
backup retrieval , rather than a physical drive . This argument is typical
homeboy stuff.

Re: Something Different

Dont need to, the term 'clone file' isnt commonly used.

Irrelevant to the use of that term, fuckwit.

Nothing like what you originally pig ignorantly claimed.

Wrong, as always. There is no image file involved with a clone
of an almost full hard drive to a drive of the same size when using
Drive Image, Ghost, True Image, xxcopy, xxclone, etc etc etc.

Wrong, as always.

So does Drive Image, Ghost, True Image, xxcopy, xxclone, etc etc etc.

Its the ONLY option possible when cloning an almost
full hard drive to a drive of the same size because
there is nowhere to put the image file, fuckwit.

Duh.

Pity its also true of Drive Image, Ghost, True Image, xxcopy, xxclone,
etc etc etc when cloning an almost full drive to another of the same size.

What matters is whether its FUNCTIONALLY identical.

There are significant downsides with sector by sector clones,
most obviously that the two physical drives need to be identical.
That is NOT the situation in which most cloning is done. Its MUCH
more often done when upgrading the boot drive to a new bigger
drive and a sector by sector clone wont work in that case
because the clone will be the same sized as the original, stupid.

Pity that the most common use of cloning doesnt need any audit.

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag even
if its pathetic excuse for a 'life' depended on it.