Something Different

They're pretty pricey too

Reply to
John

There can be plenty of dry wood between metal that gets the strike and the ground in buildings etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Doesn't mean it becomes a conductor. For instance ionisation will bridge the gap and the wood simply burns because of the temperatures involved with a strike.

Reply to
Clockmeister

I recently saw that Bunnings has some adhesive backed veneers for about $15 a sheet (about 450mm x 900mm) teak, jarrah, tasmanian oak, etc.

Reply to
dmm

Some gutless f****it desperately cowering behind FruitLoop wrote just the pathetic excuse for a troll that any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

When I see this standard canned message, I always get a mental picture of some hapless fool hiding behind a PC as the whistle of large bore mortar rounds (usenet postings) falls all around them as they wonder "What the F*&% did I do to deserve this?".

Reply to
Mark Harriss

What amuses me, is that it bears an uncanny resemblance to a guy i used to work with called greg. I often wonder....

Reply to
The Real Andy

Sorry mate, but that 'general question' was never part of the thread.

It's simple. In this context of this thread, wood is NOT a conductor.

Reply to
McGrath

What sort of car did he drive?

Reply to
Clockmeister

Especially if it is "double-wooded".

Reply to
T.T.

McGrath wrote

Wrong, as always. It became part of the thread when you made a spectacular fool of yourself when you claimed that it wasnt the wood that conducted. Sometimes it is indeed.

Wrong, as always. Just like with ANY conductor, its ALWAYS possible to exceed the breakdown voltage and get it to conduct. Most obviously when the wood isnt that thick and you have the lightning hitting metal on the weather side, and then the wood CAN break down even when it isnt wet.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Some terminal f****it pom claiming to be Mark Harriss wrote just the puerile shit thats all it can ever manage.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The only time this can happen is when there is no possible way for the lightning to find ground. What happens in this situation is that it usually 'punches' or burns a hole in the material. Once again, the material itself is not doing the conducting.

Lightning still follows the path of least resistance, and considering that air breaks down at a much lower voltage than timber, the air will always win.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Boffins claim a special camera filmed Mr Lightning getting around with boxing gloves, matches and a tin of kero.

They want to put him in jail for breaking the rules.

Reply to
Bazil

I said wood wouldn't conduct as a grounding measure for a laptop case. Likewise I said wood was not the conductor in the Geelong incident - both are true, both are correct.

You said wood could be used to ground a wooden laptop and was the conductor at Geelong - both are false, both are incorrect.

So explain to me me how I made a fool of myself? The fact that wood 'sometimes' is a conductor is irrelevent in this thread.

A pre-school student would be able to understand that - why do you have so much trouble?

Reply to
McGrath

Just let the ignorant old fool have it to shut him up, we all know he is wrong.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Rod BABY!! dontcha remember me??

Reply to
Mark Harriss

McGrath wrote

Liar, you said nothing of the sort in the quoting you keep deleting and I keep restoring.

Irrelevant to whether dry wood does indeed conduct when the voltage across it is high enough, just like with any insulator.

And both are irrelevant to the general statement you made.

No I didnt.

No I didnt.

Pity I never made either statement.

You clearly said

Nope. I JUST commented on that stupid pig ignorant claim that

That is SOMETIMES true and sometimes it aint.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Mark Harriss wrote

Corse I remember you.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"Dry wood is an insulator - not a conductor. For the purpose of earthing - which is where this started, wood has NO conducive conductive abilities."

So where did I get the above from? I keep deleting to save myself having to scroll through 'reams of puerile shit' - not to hide the facts :)

Which has nothing to do with this thread - which was originally about the earthing on a wooden laptop case and somehow spread to the Geelong deaths.

"You'll find it was the water that was the conductor, not simply the wood."

So where did I get the above from? I made no general statements, I replied to the thread. Maybe you should re-read what has been posted? You continue to make general statements stating wood is a conductor if the voltage is high enough. Well buddy, in the context of this thread *that* is irrelevant.

Yes you did.

Yes you did.

Better re-read the thread.

Which was correct. 'More fool you' :)

Pity that the thread was about the grounding of a laptop using a wood case. In this instance wood is not a conductor.

So why do you keep re-posting the stuff I cut? Bit hypocritical, isn't it.

Reply to
McGrath