Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay. - Page 2

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

I am having a hard time convincing my wife that we need to be patient
and wait, until my garage-full-of-junk becomes Alibaba's treasure
cave.
--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

**Those words probably apply to 90% of the people who read these groups.
My collection of 1,200 baud modems, 386 laptops, 256k RAm chips, 28 year
old CD players, Sony Beta machines, 20MB hard drives and valves are
surely going to be worth something. Actually, some of my crap is
(finally) starting to become valuable (I have a nice assortment of quite
valuable vaccuum tubes). SWMBO calls it "junk". She knows nothing.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

That's all part of the balance of nature.  In order for my baseball card
collection to become valuable, everybody else's mom had to throw theirs
away while they were at summer camp.

(Do they have cricket cards in OZ?)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

**Probably. Never been a follower of sports. Played some, but never
watched any. I do recall collecting cards from the local gas station,
when I was a kid. Atlantic Petrol. As always, there was one, quite rare
card. My mum probably chucked them out, along with my Superman and
Batman comics. Arrggghhh!

Lucky I've still got my Beta machines.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:55:15 +1000, Phil Hobbs

Until very recently (only the last 10 years or so) it wasn't done. Some
people had signature books, the occasional signed bat or actual signed
photos but that was all. Now it is being marketed as a big thing - like
POKEMON (i.e. mostly worthless).

BTW, somewhat recently a bat signed by Don Bradman and the entire 1948
"Invincibles" (Australia's greatest and most famous player and team) went
up for auction - until then it was held in such high regard that it laid
forgotten in a shed and the owner's kids used it for backyard cricket!

Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

Kids don't appreciate the value of collectables -- when my brother was
a teenager he once used part of my dad's coin collection to pay for a
pizza he ordered -- at face value of course.

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

**Oops. Kinda like my grandmother. She took a considerable number
(around 30 - 40, as I recall) of mint condition Australian Sovereigns
down to the bank, where they dutifully gave her face value (1 Pound = 2
Dollars each) for the coins. Back when she did it (my old man hit the
roof) the collector value would have exceeded $100.00 each. YIKES!

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

I used to be one of these 90% until 2010, in that year I had a big clean
up in my house, threw virtually everything away apart from a very
limited number of items I *really* like, and this made me feel sooo
good! Space itself really feels better than heaps of old crap that take
it up.

Rene

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

If you have lived in the same place for decades it is easy to accumulate
and keep junk that may eventually be worth a buck or two. If you put a
cost on the storage space, most stuff is not worth it. But you rarely
know what is going to appreciate in value beforehand.
 If you have moved house several times you have probably had to
make some hard decisions - I threw out one of the early prototype
Microbee's with 64k static RAM, because it was shit compared to
the PC-clones available at the time I was moving. I would have kept
it if I hadn't been under the pressure of moving to minimise junk.

It gets much worse if you have to move overseas..........

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:29:26 +1000, Trevor Wilson

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item16%0810171525&nma=true&rt=nc&si=dvqofCNLX4lPgItmd0XSxR9XUaQ%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df

A working Atari 2600 sold to the Smithsonian for 10K - not a fortune but...
--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item16%0810171525&nma=true&rt=nc&si=dvqofCNLX4lPgItmd0XSxR9XUaQ%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df
Geez!  Shouldn't have thrown out all that old crap years ago!
I had an 8008 CPU, and probably some other vintage stuff.  Hmmm,
wait, I think I still HAVE an 8008 and matching EPROMS, etc.
in an old prototype I made.

Jon

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item16%0810171525&nma=true&rt=nc&si=dvqofCNLX4lPgItmd0XSxR9XUaQ%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df

The Intel 4004 is probably worth a bit as well.....being the first uP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_4004

You could have sold an original 8086 CPU to NASA a few years ago for
use in the space shuttle program! It seems they had to use old technology
CPUs because of the exhaustive quality control regime involved in putting
a shuttle together.

Amongst the 'old crap' that I have discarded and now regret is a
Texas Instruments SR-71 (I think) calculator (it did square roots!)
and a HP 41C which I didn't intend to dump, but went missing during
one of my relocations. I've still got the programming cards for
the magnetic card reader, useless as they are!

There is a MicroBee community out there as well, determined to keep
Australia's own PC alive.
http://www.microbee-mspp.org.au/forum/index.php

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

I am really amazed how much interest the Microbee attracts after so many years.
A very active group for what it represents.

--
Don McKenzie

Web's best price on Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

It was easy to hack.

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

Certainly was.
I used a MicroBee to record lap times of speedboats. I  burnt an EPROM
with the code (both BASIC and machine code routines) and put it in the
ED/ASM EPROM socket of the MicroBee.
The Microbee is still a good option for simple control projects, it uses a Z80
which can be programmed in machine code if required. It is similar, although
far less powerful, to the Maximite computer and its clones.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olimex-duinomite.html

If you have an old Microbee you can keep in touch with the community....
http://www.microbee-mspp.org.au/forum/index.php

If you haven't played asteroids on a MicroBee you haven't lived!

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item16%0810171525&nma=true&rt=nc&si=dvqofCNLX4lPgItmd0XSxR9XUaQ%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df

**Makes me wonder what my Faber Castel 2/83N is worth. Should be a small
fortune.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item16%0810171525&nma=true&rt=nc&si=dvqofCNLX4lPgItmd0XSxR9XUaQ%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df

I've got some 8008 CPU chips somewhere along with a MARK something
computer sold as a kit I finished putting together.  A professor gave it
to me when a grad student couldn't make it work.  Seems there were a
number of errors in the design that I had to fix.  I modified it to work
with an RS232 terminal rather than the 110 baud current loop for
teletype it came with.  That likely wipes out any "collectable" value
for it...

I guess I could part it out, how much are 1702A EPROMs going for?

Rick

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
I'd rather have one of these:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp9100.htm

I stumbled across this when pricing a couple of my old HP calculators. I
appear to be up over $100 on the original price of my HP 16C.

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com