Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

The Intel 4004 is probably worth a bit as well.....being the first uP.

You could have sold an original 8086 CPU to NASA a few years ago for use in the space shuttle program! It seems they had to use old technology CPUs because of the exhaustive quality control regime involved in putting a shuttle together.

Amongst the 'old crap' that I have discarded and now regret is a Texas Instruments SR-71 (I think) calculator (it did square roots!) and a HP 41C which I didn't intend to dump, but went missing during one of my relocations. I've still got the programming cards for the magnetic card reader, useless as they are!

There is a MicroBee community out there as well, determined to keep Australia's own PC alive.

Yaputya

I am really amazed how much interest the Microbee attracts after so many years. A very active group for what it represents.

--
Don McKenzie

Web's best price on Olinuxino Linux PC:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

It was easy to hack.

Reply to
terryc

I have 100 TRILLION Dollars so it's no problem for me - they want Zimbabwe dollars right?

David Eather

A working Atari 2600 sold to the Smithsonian for 10K - not a fortune but...

David Eather

Until very recently (only the last 10 years or so) it wasn't done. Some people had signature books, the occasional signed bat or actual signed photos but that was all. Now it is being marketed as a big thing - like POKEMON (i.e. mostly worthless).

BTW, somewhat recently a bat signed by Don Bradman and the entire 1948 "Invincibles" (Australia's greatest and most famous player and team) went up for auction - until then it was held in such high regard that it laid forgotten in a shed and the owner's kids used it for backyard cricket!

David Eather

I never saw such a paper. Paper, right? How I can be sure that certificate itself is not cloned?

StoneThrower

Stonethrower

Kids don't appreciate the value of collectables -- when my brother was a teenager he once used part of my dad's coin collection to pay for a pizza he ordered -- at face value of course.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

**Oops. Kinda like my grandmother. She took a considerable number (around 30 - 40, as I recall) of mint condition Australian Sovereigns down to the bank, where they dutifully gave her face value (1 Pound = 2 Dollars each) for the coins. Back when she did it (my old man hit the roof) the collector value would have exceeded $100.00 each. YIKES!
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

Certainly was. I used a MicroBee to record lap times of speedboats. I burnt an EPROM with the code (both BASIC and machine code routines) and put it in the ED/ASM EPROM socket of the MicroBee. The Microbee is still a good option for simple control projects, it uses a Z80 which can be programmed in machine code if required. It is similar, although far less powerful, to the Maximite computer and its clones.

If you have an old Microbee you can keep in touch with the community....

If you haven't played asteroids on a MicroBee you haven't lived!

Reply to
Yaputya

Certificate of Authenticity was very much a 90's thing, until M$oft and Intel then started doing it I doubt anyone actually had even thought of them, except for pop memorabilia.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul

I'd rather have one of these:

I stumbled across this when pricing a couple of my old HP calculators. I appear to be up over $100 on the original price of my HP 16C.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

**Makes me wonder what my Faber Castel 2/83N is worth. Should be a small fortune.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

priced.

Confucius say Many valuable things for sale on ebay with teeny tiny turnover.

-- Don Kuenz

Reply to
Don Kuenz

over priced.

That reminds me, a few years back I noticed some items listed for greater than 10 times the going rate and they were NOT quantity 10 lots.

I concluded they were part of some kind of credit card fraud or money laundering scheme.

Why else would somebody buy an item for

2000 each when multiple vendors were quite active selling the exactly identical item for 200 each?

Is it possible that the same kind of racket has jumped on "antique" computer items to more easily conceal the apparent money laundering?

eBay just last week formally banned listings for "intangeable" items like prayers and hexes.

"Antique" items may be the next best thing for money laundering rackets since "going rate" might be impossible to determine and fair price might depend massively on historical or personal sentimental value.

Reply to
Greegor

I used to be one of these 90% until 2010, in that year I had a big clean up in my house, threw virtually everything away apart from a very limited number of items I *really* like, and this made me feel sooo good! Space itself really feels better than heaps of old crap that take it up.

Rene

Reply to
Rene

If you have lived in the same place for decades it is easy to accumulate and keep junk that may eventually be worth a buck or two. If you put a cost on the storage space, most stuff is not worth it. But you rarely know what is going to appreciate in value beforehand. If you have moved house several times you have probably had to make some hard decisions - I threw out one of the early prototype Microbee's with 64k static RAM, because it was shit compared to the PC-clones available at the time I was moving. I would have kept it if I hadn't been under the pressure of moving to minimise junk.

It gets much worse if you have to move overseas..........

Reply to
yaputya

I've got some 8008 CPU chips somewhere along with a MARK something computer sold as a kit I finished putting together. A professor gave it to me when a grad student couldn't make it work. Seems there were a number of errors in the design that I had to fix. I modified it to work with an RS232 terminal rather than the 110 baud current loop for teletype it came with. That likely wipes out any "collectable" value for it...

I guess I could part it out, how much are 1702A EPROMs going for?

Rick

Reply to
rickman