Some Solar problems ahead?

Looks like there could be problems ahead. Had to happen I suppose. Not
enough thought went into it........

 http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/carbon-plan/rooftop-solar-panels-overloading-electricity-grid/story-fn99tjf2-1226165360822

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?
 > rooftop-solar-panels-overloading-electricity-grid

Isn't that vindication of the program to install them;they can meet
demand, The overloading infrastructure problem should be laid at the
feet of the various state governments who ratted the infrastruture
refurbishfund that all the various electrical authorities had put aside.
That is why you are not going to pay 30%+ on your electricity bills.

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/carbon-plan/rooftop-solar-panels-overloading-electricity-grid/story-fn99tjf2-1226165360822

**Care to explain how grid connected inverters are capable of feeding
MORE than mains Voltage (whether it is a nominal 230VAC or 240VAC) into
the grid? I have assumed that they all must meet the stringent criteria
laid down by the authorities.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

"Trevor Wilson"
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/carbon-plan/rooftop-solar-panels-overloading-electricity-grid/story-fn99tjf2-1226165360822

** No current would flow from the inverter UNLESS it put out more volts than
were otherwise on the incoming line.

The story is mostly a beat up of something quite minor that happens only in
rural locations with long supply lines and hence relatively high source
impedance AC supplies. Such locations already suffer wider variations in the
AC voltage.

BTW:

High AC voltages mostly affect the lifespans of ordinary, 240 volt rated
incandescent lamps -  which are banned from sale anyhow.

...   Phil

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/carbon-plan/rooftop-solar-panels-overloading-electricity-grid/story-fn99tjf2-1226165360822
Just to be pedantic. Not all incandescent lamps are banned from
sale.......For instance.

http://lightingpro.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath21%&RD=LPHomTxtLightGlobes

Pity though, nothing like the old 60w pearl.

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

Only last Tuesday, I spotted a shelf full of incandescent bulbs on
sale at Coles in Launceston.

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

**There are still a large variety of IC lamps available. Fancy shapes,
odd bases, halogens and others.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

"Je▀us"

 "Phil Allison"

** What a vile, over snipping turd you are.

My original comment was:

"High AC voltages mostly affect the lifespans of ordinary, 240 volt rated
incandescent lamps -  which are banned from sale anyhow. "

FFS  " ordinary, 240 volt rated "  =  GLS, non halogen.

...  Phil

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

And what's worse, no remorse about it either.

Fortunately for turds like myself, crimes against Usenet do not fall
under the ICC's jurisdiction, else I'd fully expect to be extradited
to The Hague.

OK. So what is 'GLS'?

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

**General Lighting Service.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?
.......snip etc.

It's a badge you see on the back of some automobiles.

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

Oh. 'Thanks' for that ;)

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/carbon-plan/rooftop-solar-panels-overloading-electricity-grid/story-fn99tjf2-1226165360822

Not true in AC system. In an AC power system, real power flow is
determined by the load angle between the generator and the load. Voltage
level differences determines reactive power flow. Quite possible to have
a generator (invertor) supplying real power, but absorbing reactive power.

David

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

"Dimmer"

** Hey -  Dimwit.

  Go straight to hell you stinking troll.

  ... Phil

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/carbon-plan/rooftop-solar-panels-overloading-electricity-grid/story-fn99tjf2-1226165360822

What's that supposed to mean:

'Mr Hart said the size of conductors and cables in the streets would
have to be upgraded "so it can handle lots of solar, versus times when
there's lots of load and no solar".'

As if our infrastructure was designed with local solar PV supply in
mind. That sounds like a lot of BS to me.

The problems I see are rapid changes of insolation in areas where PV
supply is dominant (e.g. clouds moving fast). It takes time for the flow
from the power station to react. And that's how I imagine over and under
voltages could occur. Obviously, if most of the inverters are working
properly and cut out when the voltage gets to high there would be at
least no over voltage.

Tony

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

"Tony Simpleton"

** Makes perfect sense.

 If there is adequate copper, then voltage drop problems vanish.

** My god -  you really are off with the fairies.

...  Phil

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

 That's the question. Is there adequate copper? I think maybe not with all
the upgrading going on throughout the Western Suburbs of Sydney

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

I was, at least someone pays attention :)

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/carbon-plan/rooftop-solar-panels-overloading-electricity-grid/story-fn99tjf2-1226165360822

  Did you miss the fact that the author of that 'The Australian' article
is a complete knob, and has no idea on how the grid works?
  He invents terminology, quotes others out of context, and quotes
installers who have equally no clue on how anything works at all.

  The Internet is loaded with lots of information on how the power grid
works in general, and how the different forms of solar controllers work,
AND how they interact with the grid.

  I would suggest reading one of those, because *this* article is NOT
one of them.
--
Newsbytes - Microsoft announce EDLIN for Windows

Re: Some Solar problems ahead?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/carbon-plan/rooftop-solar-panels-overloading-electricity-grid/story-fn99tjf2-1226165360822
 The author also quoted  "One of Australia's biggest electricity network
providers, Ausgrid, yesterday warned that there was a "significant
likelihood" that costs would have to rise because of the impact of the solar
photovoltaic cells." All a ruse I suppose. To me what you say is most
probably correct in theory. But not in practice. The condition of the
network aint so good. No forethought to future needs and technology was
given by the planners a few years ago and I think we are starting to pay for
it now. It's not only copper but also lack of maintenance to pad mounts,
pole mounts and general hardware upgrades. But then I didn't go to uni to
learn all this. I just work with it!

Site Timeline