Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007 - Page 3

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

  No, of course not.  And I don't see the reason you ask this question unless
you missed the bit in this thread that places them in series - enough to give
a suitable average current, along with suitable limits for waveform peaks and
local power grid variations.

  But even with small limiting resistors, that's a bit dodgy if you ask me.
It would leave the lamp set a fair bit dimmer on low voltage times/days and
bright only on high voltage times days.  In some areas, you tend to get highs
and no lows, and other areas visa versa.

  A nice efficient switching design would be much better.  Constant
brightness,  constant power consumption, and power factor correction to boot.

  I still don't see why anyone would buy them though, because dollar for
dollar, halogens win hands down.  Only perhaps tree huggers may buy them.

  Then again, tree huggers would be living under the open sky:  Plastic is
made from petrochemicals, cardboard is made from their beloved trees,
electricity creates greenhouse gas, and telephones are the product of economic
globalisation.  Heaven forbid they use solar, the manufacture of the panels
would make them cringe.
  Their only way to make money is to sell organic vegetables to plobs who go
to work at a globalised company that uses electricity and telephone lines.
Just so they get that warm fuzzy feeling inside. (probably the bugs that the
pesticides didn't get).

  All to pay for LED lights that they can't power because they don't know what
electricity is.

  Yeah, ok, I'm done ranting now.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

John Tserks itself off MORON

"John Tserks itself off  MORON "

** The claim made was for  * 5 times *  the efficiency of a halogen lamp
with similar light output.

Also claimed was a break even period of 1 year and a ten year life.

Plenty of reason to use them, if true.

YOU   DUMBFUCK,    HEE  HAWING    ASS.

.......  Phil

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:58:27 +1000, John Tserkezis
composed:

The latest SC mag has an article on Ostar LED lights that are claimed
to be on par with halogens for light output:
 http://www.reuk.co.uk/Osram-Ostar-Lighting-LED.htm

I don't have the article in front of me, but IIRC several thousand of
these were installed in some European supermarket complex.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

  That's about what I would expect.  However, LEDs cost a LOT more than
halogens, so even allowing for reduced life in halogens compared to LEDs,
halogens still win.

  LEDS have their place however, especially where the long life makes up for
their initial high cost.  Such as high ceilings, or difficult to access light
fixtures.

  What I'm objecting to, is the blanket comments that paint LEDs to be the
end-all-be-all in lighting technology, to the determent of everything else.

  Much like the CFL debate.  Sure they have their place, but not as a simple
drop-in replacement.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

I haven't seen that SC yet, but looking at the specs for that Osram unit one
thing stands out - the CRI (Colour Rendering Index) quoted is 80, which
makes for pretty horrible light compared to the better fluorescents.

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

"Poxy"

** The Pox Head moron gets it totally wrong again.

 As per bloody usual.

.......   Phil

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

Be a nice(r) chap and go to bed Phil.

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

"Poxy"

**  Make your ( wrong) point or  PISS OFF .

.......  Phil

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

 "John the Fuckwit Jerk Off

**  FUCK OFF

 -   CRIMINAL  MORON

........    Phil

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:06:34 +1000, John Tserkezis
composed:

I've seen quite a few O/C failures, although mine were confined to one
particular type of bargraph display. I never saw any shorted LEDs.
Then again, none of these were high current types.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

I must be unlucky then, I've seen dozens, and far more low intensity.

MrT.

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

snipped-for-privacy@iinternode.on.net says...

I recall the "inventor" said he was involved in changing the wafer design !

Also did anyone notice the large difference in LED output, some looked
like they had been cooked,

Peak of 415mA is not unusual at the peak of the AC waveform, depending on
how many he had used,

But to call it an invention is just plain wrong, its an engineering
adpatation at best, and not a very good one at that !

--
Regards
Mike