Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007 - Page 2

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/video/default.htm?program=newinventors&pres20%070711_2000&story=1

There have been some great inventions and not so great inventions on the
ABC's NEW Inventors Show.

I don't have an opinion about the Solid State Lighting invention........ but
another inventor - who presented on the show said...

"The publicity for presenting on the show is worth about $5000 of
Advertising."

Joe

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

"Joe G (Home)"

**  To that particular inventor  -  of course.

To others it may be worth much more or much less.

To someone with nothing yet to sell, it is a way of attracting an investor.

To someone with a silly idea that will never sell -  it is a way to find a
gullible investor and commit fraud.

Then,  to someone like that Granville TAFE  teacher  -  it is merely a giant
ego trip.

......   Phil

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

I too feel very cynical about this "invention". The "inventor" seemed to be
saying "This is good but I can't tell you any technical details because
someone might pinch the idea. So just believe in it."

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/video/default.htm?program=newinventors&pres20%070711_2000&story=1

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:07:03 +1000, Franc Zabkar

What really annoys me (apart from that teminally patronising
presenter!) is the readiness of the panel to endorse virtually
anything that appears on the show.  To my knowledge, they have never
said "This is a load of %$#@ ! Forget it !!"

In this case, the total absence of any verifiable figures should have
precluded Higgins from the show instead of which he gets the prize for
the evening !

Dave

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

"Dave Goldfinch"

** Hardly likely  -  as there is a selection and vetting process before any
" invention" gets on the show.

 Plus the ABC could easily face a defamation action if you scenario were
ever carried out.

** Could be they were trapped into doing that - once the item was on air.

 Higgins had to get the prize,  or they were treating his claims as fake and
him as a charlatan.

.......  Phil

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

  Too bad it's insufficient.  LOTS of examples have passed through their doors
that have not only already been invent, it was years ago and already on the
market.

  It's an entertainment program.  Anyone can claim anything.  Fortunately,
their viewers have more sense than their panel.

  Possible if their fact checkers picked it up too late to get another entry
in time.

  But they've never done that before, so I don't see them starting now.

  And yes, I did recognise your name this time.
  So for your benefit: "Bite me".

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

They got away with it all the time on that Dragon's Den show on
Channel 7.

Half the fun was watching the "panel" tell the inventors their product
was complete crap, and then watching the inventors faces for the
reaction. Great television!

The New Inventors is completely limp in comparison.

Dave.

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

Yes, the TV channels have lawyers to draft up suitable agreements that must
be signed before anyone appears on such a show.

So true, just like most of the inventions they have.

MrT.

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

"David L. Jones"

** Totally irrelevant to TNI.

    You pathetic idiot.

........  Phil

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

It is totally relevant.

Any time you need more money for your medication Phil, we'd all be
happy to help you out, just post your PayPal address.

Dave.

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

"David L. Jones"

**  ROTFLMAO    !!!

What a pathetic pile of sub human excrement is DL Jones.

The lying, gutless autistic cretin has not got one single clue about any
damn thing.

Just constantly spews his brainless bullshit about for the sake of having
something to say.

Peeeeeeukkkkkkkkeeeee

......    Phil

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:41:55 GMT, Dave Goldfinch

IIRC, the "Gemini Electric Motor" was one of those inventions whose
inner workings were fully disclosed but no test data were available:

 http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s1201795.htm

The panel treated it with skepticism and basically said that they
would need to see the numbers before they could be convinced. However,
they were diplomatic about it.

The inventor's web site (http://www.geminielectricmotor.com /) still
doesn't have any numbers, but he makes the claim that the motor "is
capable of handling twice the power of a same size conventional motor
and while doing so, remaining at the high efficiencies that PM motors
are capable of".

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:41:55 GMT, Dave Goldfinch

It would have been more interesting if James Moody were on the panel
that night, some more pertinent questions may have been asked.

- Rob.

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

I certainly agree. They seem to be short of people who have half a
clue about electrical or electronic devices - remember that Protex
device ? I don't recall whether it won the evening prize ?

Dave

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:30:00 GMT, Dave Goldfinch

No it didn't win that night (thank goodness). The winner was the Axle
Tow Feeder
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s1356442.htm

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

It occured to me that a possible configuration of the invention
is simply a circuit to make the LED's conduct at the peak of the
mains waves, to use the low duty cycle and high peak currents
for high illumination hence the high current quoted as about 400
mA. Nothing new there I'd say. This would have horrible power
factor/harmonics too.

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

"Geoff C"

** But not nearly as bad as a CFL, most SMPS, triac dimmers and a host of
transformer isolated electronic devices that draw current at the AC voltage
peaks.

Click on the sub heading  " Power Factor "  and scroll down to my  CRO
screen pics  -  figs 11 and 12.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm#pf

.......  Phil

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

Yeah, thats true. I did not see the particular inventors show
or view the online video, but I assume power factor was not
even whispered.

I have speed read/skimmed that article before. The author has
a good writing style for semi-technical people to understand,
plus his comments about thinking of a CFL as a 30 watt rather
than a 15 watt device is well put.

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

  This is all fixable though.  With PF correction electronics.
  I don't think he's trying though, because that would make sense, (this goes
against the other vague data we've seen from this inventor), and it would
require electronics control (which he implies there is none).

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Solid State Lighting - New Inventors, ABC, 11 July 2007

goes

Of course there is, the LED's can't be 240V surely.

MrT.

Site Timeline