Solder tag material for NiCd cells

Am repackaging NiCd cells to fit into a battery pack with a different
shape/cell configuration - requires cutting old spot-welded tags, then
resoldering.

Any idea where to obtain the 'tag' material from? (Wire is too thick.)

Thanks.

Re: Solder tag material for NiCd cells

< snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com

** The material is nickel plated steel  -  about 5 thou thick ( 0.12mm).

Copper shim of similar thickness would be even better for soldering.

.....  Phil

Re: Solder tag material for NiCd cells
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:23:13 +1100, "Phil Allison"

Good idea, thanks.  I was thinking about ripping strips of copper from
a blank PCB, but obviously that's too thin!

Re: Solder tag material for NiCd cells

If you haven't bought the batteries already, you buy them with the tags
already on them. There is an article on building a battery pack for
mountain bike lights here.

http://www.geo.net.au/~mart/Battery/battery.htm

Re: Solder tag material for NiCd cells

Thanks for your reply.  I've already bought the pack but the tags need
to be cut and rejoined into a new configuration.  After cutting, the
ends are too short to rejoin again.

Re: Solder tag material for NiCd cells

peel the thin metal casing off a pp3 9v battery and shine it up with
sandpaper & trim to size with scissors?

Re: Solder tag material for NiCd cells

Just use wire if you have the space, but be careful to not to cook
batteries.

The tape is purely to facilitate easy spot welding, and minimal space.

geoff

Re: Solder tag material for NiCd cells

or offcuts from component leads, those are pretty thin, as long as you
don't have really high currents flo

0D

I have always used stranded wire with insulation removed.

Re: Solder tag material for NiCd cells

Thanks for all your ideas.  Yes, some concern about the high currents
- i.e. cordless drill!

 I've decided to try some copper sheet such as hobbyists would use for
'copper tooling'.  Cutting strips from that should do the trick.

Re: Solder tag material for NiCd cells

Another method that would be used years ago was to cut up the metal
"leaf" material used to make switch
contacts in old type open frame relays.

of course if you have some of the more modern cradle relays that are
faulty, you could possibly strip them for the contact leaf material,
if its long enough.
leaf material.

Site Timeline