Solar project - consumption calculations.

missed original post (perhaps not arrived).

roos, wallabies, emus (no idea where shooting club is btw)

Reply to
Terryc

"Terryc"

** Its a bloody lying club - you asinine pile of dog shit .

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"<

** LOL - dunno how that Freudian slipped out ......

Was meant to be " flying club " !!

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Who said the shotgun was aimed at anyone.

Reply to
Big Bear

Shit Phil, you are really, really thick. Now you've told the blighters they will take measure to protect it and make it harder to "re-locate".

Reply to
Big Bear

If you are going to do that, then my 2c is just to spend your money on deep-discharge batteries and a "battery charger" (provides 12v, not 240V).

I can buy about 700AmpHrs (7x100) for the price of a 160Watt 12V panel, to which I'd add the Honda battery charger (basically a motor connected to a bosch alternator).

Reply to
Big Bear

Now THAT I can believe.!!! Phil Allison, the internet's #1 stalker.

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

**It doesn't much matter, since the idea it to reduce power consumption. Animals will not always be around, nor moving, so the sensor will be off most of the time. This could, typically, result in a 90% reduction in power consumption.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Hi Tim,

While I think of it, my guess is that you may be reading the AP and IR camera power supply labels to get your 2A, not measuring their true average current drawn?

I suspect they would both draw significantly less than 2A continuous each, which could bring your needs down a lot.

If you have IR illumination for night use that may bring the current up a bit for that though.

The first easy power solution that comes to mind is either the remote solar chargers intended for farm use on electric operated gates and pumps, I don't know them really well but believe that they have a 12V lead acid (car type) battery solar charger, and you can then run a switch mode power supply, or 240V inverter off the battery. You'd want to use a switch mode power supply to get 5V instead of the extra loss of going up to 240V then back down.

You could also make your own setup with car batteries and the commercial solar panel 12V/car battery chargers used mostly by 4WD enthusiasts.

How often do you go there? You may be able to save all the solar charging cost and trouble if you just keep car battery(s) on charge at home, then swap the charged ones over when you visit. If the frequency of visits and battery charge life add up of course...

--
Cheers,

Marc
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Marc

Phil, mate (not that you are).

** I dare to go where no man has gone before ........
** Huh ??

One thing I know for damn sure - any and all forms of subtlety are TOTALLY WASTED on usenet.

We are dealing here, almost exclusively, with the planet's very bluntest objects.

** Grin .......

** The wombats generally smell better and have higher IQs - I find.

..... regards, Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Agree with Phil here, night-time video is crap and not worth the effort.

If you are really wanting to go along with this project you might try a cheap digital camera and flashgun attached to a PIR motion sensor. The flash might cause the 'wombats' to look up for you and blind them on the second shot!

At least you might have some kind of picture with enough resolution to make a distinction, rather than blurry dark humpy objects on a video ...

Reply to
swanny

Despite the nay sayers here , this shows such concepts CAN work to acheive the goals. This article may also provide ideas for alternative techniques to maximise your battery life etc.

Greg

Reply to
gcd

You're already there