Solar project - consumption calculations. - Page 3

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

**You should, at least, do the following:

* Use a MUCH larger battery.
* Find the lowest consumption camera available.
* Find the camera with the lowest light requirements.
* Use a PIR motion detector to switch the camera and lighting on and off.
PIRs are now available with VERY low power consumption.

The last suggestion should give dramatically better battery life. PIRs can
be set to ignore animals (most of the time) and respond only to humans (or
large animals).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

You are going to have to explain how they do that. AFAIK, it is just a
matter/choice of activation level and they don't really know the
difference in type of animal, only relative amount of body heat given off.

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

It should be possible if all else fails to set the beam height and
spread to shoot over the local animals and hit the human midsection

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

**Correct.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

missed original post (perhaps not arrived).

roos, wallabies, emus (no idea where shooting club is btw)

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

"Terryc"

**  Its a bloody lying club  -   you asinine pile of dog shit .

.......  Phil

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

"Phil Allison"<

**  LOL  -  dunno how that Freudian slipped out  ......

   Was meant to be  " flying club "   !!

......   Phil

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

**It doesn't much matter, since the idea it to reduce power consumption.
Animals will not always be around, nor moving, so the sensor will be off
most of the time. This could, typically, result in a 90% reduction in power
consumption.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

You might want to consider a more efficient AP? The Linksys WRT54G can run
off any voltage between 7 and 40 volts and consumes a bit over 5 watts -
feeding it 13.6v from your battery will draw 0.4 Amps.

Also the WRT54G is Linux-based and there are a number of replacement
firmwares available which make it highly customisable - there are mods to
access serial ports and IO pins which can then be controlled by simple shell
scripts.

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

 > Also the WRT54G is Linux-based and there are a number of
 > replacement firmwares available which make it highly customisable -
 > there are mods to access serial ports and IO pins which can then be
 > controlled by simple shell scripts.

I've done this-- although I wouldn't recommend the WRT54 devices, as
they're lacking USB, which would be pretty-much essential unless
you've got a serial interface camera around. A fair bit of Linux
Wizardry would be required to bring the system together as well.
www.openwrt.org I found to have the most comprehensive references
for doing so.

--
Chris

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

This will help with the calcs.
http://www.woa.com.au/terryc/remote-power/remote-power.html#solar
You are free to make your owen choices.

Have you measured that?
Often labels give max consumption.

Far too small. You are asking for 40Amphours above and the
recommendation for long life of batteries is 50% max discharge. There is
a Centurion 75AmpHrfor about $179 ($129 on special {:-) at Supercheap
Auto, or visit Battery World or a local battery shop.

But, what about cloudy days?

Basically, how much does this vandalism cost you?
You should expect to spend much more to prevent it (well really spot it
happening).

These should be common and easy to find, although I am not sure about
"efficent" because as I understand the common 7905, etc regulators you
take 60W (12V @ 5A) and blow 35Watts away to give 25Watts (5v @ 5A).

It might be easier and more efficent to just get a 12V->240V inverter
and use the supplied plug packs for the two devices.

The biggest you can safely mount. You will probably need more than one.
and do not stint on the regulator.

 From what I've heard, mostly irrelevant( not that great a benefit)
unless you have a tracker, but give it a try and let us know. Solar
panels work best when thety are at 90 degrees/perpendicular to the sun's
rays, which only happens once per day(maybe) with a fixed panel.

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

Hi Tim,

While I think of it, my guess is that you may be reading the
AP and IR camera power supply labels to get your 2A, not measuring
their true average current drawn?

I suspect they would both draw significantly less than 2A
continuous each, which could bring your needs down a lot.

If you have IR illumination for night use that may bring the
current up a bit for that though.

The first easy power solution that comes to mind is either the
remote solar chargers intended for farm use on electric
operated gates and pumps, I don't know them really well
but believe that they have a 12V lead acid (car type) battery
solar charger, and you can then run a switch mode
power supply, or 240V inverter off the battery.
You'd want to use a switch mode power supply to get 5V instead of
the extra loss of going up to 240V then back down.

You could also make your own setup with car batteries and the
commercial solar panel 12V/car battery chargers used mostly by 4WD
enthusiasts.

How often do you go there?
You may be able to save all the solar charging cost and trouble if
you just keep car battery(s) on charge at home, then swap the
charged ones over when you visit.
If the frequency of visits and battery charge life add up of course...

--
Cheers,

Marc

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

Despite the nay sayers here , this shows such concepts CAN work to acheive
the goals.
This article may also provide ideas for alternative techniques to maximise
your battery life etc.

<http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Brazilian-in-Germany-stops-thief-via-Net/2006/12/13/1165685726482.html

Greg