Solar project - consumption calculations. - Page 2

Re: Fuckwit On NG NOW !

Hello again Phil,

I'm Narcissistic?   Read my first post (or learn the real definition of
narcissistic), I'm doing this for a small community of people with a
common interest.  What's narcissistic about that?

I'm not going to "Fuck the HELL OFF" at your command, but you are most
welcome not to visit this topic in future if you prefer.  No obligation
on your behalf either way and of no consequence to the rest of us.

Cheers,
Tim.

Re: Fuckwit On NG NOW !

"Timmah"   =   Neo Nazi Child Killer

** What is your "club" being troubled by pal  -  marauding wombats maybe ???

Lemme tell ya a simple fact  -  the cops are not one bit  interested in
nabbing any (4 legged) wombats.

Blurry IR pics of  *god knows who *  will interest them no better.

Kindly re-think your mad assumptions -  remote security video surveillance

* in the BLOODY dark *   is a total waste of time and money.

However,  I'm sadly very sure there are numerous ABSOLUTE  e WANKERS
lurking here who are only too happy to help you waste lots of both the
above.

As is being proved  RIGHT   NOW   !!

Peeeeeeuuuuuukeeeeee.....

......   Phil

Re: Fuckwit On NG NOW !

Yup, best thing about it is my reader allows me to killfile guys such as
yourself with a single click.

CLICK!

Re: Fuckwit On NG NOW !

"Simon"

**  Your loss  -   fuckhead.

    Bet I will be watching you.

......   Phil

Re: Fuckwit On NG NOW !

Now THAT I can believe.!!!
Phil Allison, the internet's #1 stalker.

Re: Fuckwit On NG NOW !

  Off your meds again sucky boy ?

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

"Timmah" < snipped-for-privacy@syratt.com

** What is your club being troubled by pal  -  marauding wombats maybe ???

Lemme tell ya a simple fact  -  the cops are not one bit  interested in
nabbing any (4 legged) wombats.

Blurry IR pics of  *god knows who *  will interest them no better.

Kindly re-think your mad assumptions -  remote security video surveillance
* in the BLOODY dark *   is a total waste of time and money.

However,  I'm sadly very sure there are numerous ABSOLUTE  e WANKERS
lurking here who are only too happy to help you waste lots of both the
above.

Yawn .. ......

......   Phil

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

  I would suggest you speak to a solar company as I seem to remember
reading about a controller which might just offer the voltage control
you look for , and low wastage .
  Good luck with it and I would be interested in the results.

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

Thanks Rebel,

That's fantastic!   There are so many LMXXXX based regulators around,
but I can't see these being any good for solar applications..   The
SMPS sounds like the way I need to go.  I'll try and find one pre-fab.

I have a fairly good spot to mount the panels, they'll be pretty much
out of view & should be safe(er).  Maybe one of the guys can build a
rio style mesh cage for it without distrupting too many rays.

I also have the option of giving the batteries a boost once a week with
a portable generator - I could probably get between 4 to 8 hours of
charge in once a week if needed.

Thanks again,
Tim.

we
prepared

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

"Timmah"

** What is your club being troubled by pal  -  marauding wombats maybe ???

Lemme tell ya a simple fact  -  the cops are not one bit  interested in
nabbing any (4 legged) wombats.

Blurry IR pics of  *god knows who *  will interest them no better.

Kindly re-think your mad assumptions -  remote security video surveillance
* in the BLOODY dark *   is a total waste of time and money.

However,  I'm sadly very sure there are numerous ABSOLUTE  e WANKERS
lurking here who are only too happy to help you waste lots of both the
above.

Yawn .. ......

......   Phil

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

  Nor are they interested in a tossa like you being bashed philthy

  see ya soon .

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

Agree with Phil here, night-time video is crap and not worth the effort.

If you are really wanting to go along with this project you might try a cheap
digital camera and flashgun attached to a PIR motion sensor. The flash might
cause the 'wombats' to look up for you and blind them on the second shot!

At least you might have some kind of picture with enough resolution to make a
distinction, rather than blurry dark humpy objects on a video ...

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

If you are going to do that, then my 2c is just to spend your money on
deep-discharge batteries and a "battery charger" (provides 12v, not 240V).

I can buy about 700AmpHrs (7x100) for the price of a 160Watt 12V panel,
to which I'd add the Honda battery charger (basically a motor connected
to a bosch alternator).

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

 **  Wot  -  like assuming an anonymous prick like  YOU is an utter scumbag
??

 Practically guaranteed to be correct.

 A dead cert.

....   Phil

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

"Timmah"

** What is your club being troubled by pal  -  marauding wombats maybe ???

Lemme tell ya a simple fact  -  the cops are not one bit  interested in
nabbing any (4 legged) wombats.

Blurry IR pics of  *god knows who *  will interest them no better.

Kindly re-think your mad assumptions -  remote security video surveillance
* in the BLOODY dark *   is a total waste of time and money.

However,  I'm sadly very sure there are numerous ABSOLUTE  e WANKERS
lurking here who are only too happy to help you waste lots of both the
above.

Yawn .. ......

......   Phil

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

< snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

 **  I dare to go where no man has gone before  ........

 **  Huh ??

One thing I know for damn sure  -  any and all forms of subtlety are
TOTALLY  WASTED on usenet.

We are dealing here, almost exclusively, with the planet's very bluntest
objects.

**  Grin .......

 **  The wombats generally smell better and have higher IQs  -   I find.

.....  regards,      Phil

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

You're already there

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

 On 10 Dec 2006 02:26:30 -0800,
 and after reading the post titled " Solar project - consumption calculations.",

following:

Tim,

Cant really help you with the calcs for power requirements for your project, but
we bought one of those farm security cameras a few months ago. The camera has a
rechargeable ni-cd battery, which is supposed to last a few weeks, but also
accepts 12v DC input(which both charges and powers the unit if connected). It
has a PIR trigger, and will take a sequence of up to 5 images in a user-settable
sequence. The IR source is supplied as a separate IR floodlight, which draws
about 2A @ 12v DC.
We bought the B&W version which works very well at night using the IR floodlight
for a light-source. It will also take acceptable daytime pics. It also has a
termination block which allows a relay to be activated, as well as a siren (if
needed).

The unit is (I think) called farm-cam.

As a test of the equipment, we set it up to record a mystery animal that kept
crapping on the back doorstep.  It was rather amazing what we ended up
recording!  Possums, mice and other animals appearing at the step during the
night.

I havent really set this one up for distance, but I expect you could get better
resolution from a camera with a better lens than this one(this one is only a
pinhole lens).

My only criticism of this unit is that all data is recorded direct onto an SD
memory card.  I would prefer something that can record the data remotely, so the
images are retained, even if the camera is found and destroyed.
We also have occasional times when it doesnt record an image properly to the SD
card. It doesnt happen much, but is annoying when it does.  I wonder about
finding out if there are options to use the SD interface to link it to a
wireless link, but that's for another day.

Personally, I'd be very interested to hear how you get on, and how useable the
images are when you have it up and running.

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

 On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:06:36 GMT,
 and after reading the post titled " Re: Solar project - consumption
calculations.",

cluck & peck the following:

-- Something else I forgot to mention.  You havent included the power
consumption of the IR Floodlight (assuming you want the camera to function at
night).  If you have mains power at the site, you could probably run this
separately, but then you'd be able to do the same for the rest of the gear.

-- The IR floodlight supplied with our camera has an LDR built into it, and all
self-contained. It regulates power output, dependant on available light.

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back

Re: Solar project - consumption calculations.

Hi Rod,

Thanks for info.. I've seen a couple of similar units floating around
EBAY - they accept av in, so you can pick and choose your camera(s) to
suit your situation.  I guess my only issue is that most of them seem
to be limited to 1GB @ 256 pics - which isn't really ideal.

The idea behind the wireless link was actually two-fold - the first and
most important was security, but the secondary use is for a snapshot
feed back to the website - that gives us an image of the field
condition & windsock before we set up shop for the day.

It turns out one of the club members works in the boating industry, and
can get hold of deep cycle batteries and solar panels at cost for us -
that should be a huge help.

Regds,
Tim.

calculations.",