Solar power now werth it?

Origin have 1kilowatt solar power system fully installed for $4,495, after
$8,000 goverment rebate and $1,000 renewable energy rebate. So all up it
costs about $5 per watt for solar power that is meant to last 30 years. On
average 1kw array will produce 6kw hours per day of actual back to grid
energy. This makes the total lifetime power 65,700 kilowatt hours. Tarriff
11 is about 15.5 cents per kilowatt hour, so all up 65,700 watt hours is
werth $10,183.50. So if you pay more than $85 per quarter on traff 11 it
might now actually be cheaper to get solar power.

Re: Solar power now werth it?

put finger to keyboard and composed:

If you invested the capital cost in a term deposit at 5%pa interest
(after tax), then after 30 years you would have $19427. If you
invested it in your mortgage, then you would be even better off.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Solar power now werth it?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 06:34:05 +1100, Franc Zabkar

The 1 Kw array for $4495 only makes 4 KWH a day not 6 .
Its the 1.5 KWH one that makes 6.
As Franc stated it just aint worth it.
You are spending $4495 to make 4 KWH of electricity ,(worth 60 cents)
a day.
Thats a return of 4.8%.
I can think of plenty of better ways of investing my money.

The real ripoff is the high price of Solar panels in Australia.
On average around $8 a watt, but in the US the same panels are
$4 a watt.
Something not right and it aint the exchange rate.

Re: Solar power now werth it?

snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au (Mauried) wrote in news:4744be8d.129026625
@news.tpg.com.au:

 Thye're bulky. We're a long way from anywhere. Shipping costs,
import duties (and of course a bit of profiteering on the part
of the importers).

GB
--
.sig

Re: Solar power now werth it?

A lot of the more popular brands of Solar Panels are now made in
Malaysia and the Phillipines,so the shipping costs to the US would be
the same as to here.
Its more likely that as there is a Govt subsidy available, the
importers are just keeping the prices high.
Subsidies usually always drive up the prices of what is being
subsidised.

Re: Solar power now werth it?

Tell me about it , i used to buy 5000L water tanks for $650, now they are
$1250 :( The dought and everyone buying them drove the prices up now down,
and its not like there is a shortage, they are everywhere.

Re: Solar power now werth it?

$4,495, after
up it
years. On
grid
Tarriff
hours is
11 it

Aha, the economic rationalists are in for a rude shock...

It is a near certainty that the real cost of purchasing domestic
electricity will skyrocket in the next few years so the viability of
"going solar" will be almost on a par. It also depends on the
individual circumstances and where you live. If you live several
hundred metres from the nearest power line route the $30k (or more)
you are required to spend to have the power line extended makes solar
power cheap by comparison. We don't all live in the city you know.

Re: Solar power now werth it?

But not as good a value as a 'basic spelling' course....

geoff

Re: Solar power now werth it?

tis called slang.
Now get that stick our of your ass

Re: Solar power now werth it?

  No, that was a spelling issue.

  Correct Queen's english spelling is "arse".
  Another spelling issue: "our" should be "out".
  And while we're at it, there should be a full stop at the end.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Solar power now werth it?

    None boters wit spelin or puntacion this daze.

Re: Solar power now werth it?

$4915$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

 Not to mention, "anal retentive" should be hyphenated.

GB
--
 "Most police misconduct occurs when citizens challenge an individual
  officer's authority" (Reiss, 1971 c.in Jermier & Berkes 1979)

Re: Solar power now werth it?

  And yet...   :-)
--
Linux Registered User # 302622