Solar Power....

I notice in my travels around Sydney that folk are still having Solar Power
installed on their roofs. I was under the impression that since the various
subsidies had been dropped that it really was not worth getting. Am I
missing something?

Metro....

Re: Solar Power....

Feed-in tariff is still available to new installations. It is less than
the generous 60c/kWHr previously offered, but still above the average
kWHr cost.

There may also be some 'social' reasons some people install them (maybe
a bit of a status symbol for some).

Re: Solar Power....

Most people don't have a clue how to go about comparing the cost of grid
supplied electricity with the cost of power from a solar panel.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Power....

Well I don't think that it is worth it. Considering initial outlay, the
exposure averages, 00.20c perKwh rebate etc. Plus how long will the
government keep the existing rebate? Maybe ok if you live in the red centre.

Metro....

Re: Solar Power....

I agree. It's most of the people who are installing it who don't know
how to compare.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Power....

Two parts;

10 the Federal RECS, or whatever they are called now, subsidy for
installation only dropped 20% with the finacial year and will continue
to drop 20% for each finacial year until ?.  So you can still get the
subsidy on installation.

The Gross (vary)generous Feed in Tarrifs may have stopped/changed in
your state. The NSw 60c one has closed, zip, no more.

AIUI some electricty suppliers are still offering Gross FIT of around
20C. You may have to sign up to them for installation as well, you may not.

Some suppliers will only go net, i.e. we will take all you can generate
and take that off your bill, then you pay us for any extra you use.
generate too much and thank you very much, we just take it.

Some people are seeing it as worth their while to install a system that
will cover their electricty bills considering some of the projected
rises to cover long overdue infrastructure upgrades and overdue power
stations.

YMMV

Re: Solar Power....

In WA the feed in tarif of 47c/kWH  (Supposedly fixed for 10 years) is
still available for installations completed by 30th September. I doubt
that there is much chance for anyone still to sign up for this as an
application has to go through Western Power, which can take some time.

I have just got a system installed and expect a payback period of
between 6 & 8 years, depending on who you believe as to the future
supply charges.

I would just like some clever person to figure out how I can export
ALL the solar and only use power off the grid, for which I pay around
20c/kWH :-)

Dave

Re: Solar Power....
  just connect the feed in input directly to the mains. Of course, you
are now committing outright fraud. If you don't mind the risk of having
"Humpy" and "Slugger" as your new "best friends" in the slammer then
that could work out OK.

Re: Solar Power....

Hmm...

Perhaps I should have specified a legal way to do it.

That aside, even if what you suggest  was possible, I don't see the
benefit of "just connect the feed in input directly to the mains"

Presumably you mean bypass the meter - that would mean that I wouldn't
receive anything for the power fed to the grid - it has to go through
the meter for Western Power to pay me!

Re: Solar Power....

If you have a shed etc on the same property - get an extra feed and
meter for it.  Feed the solar into that feed, have no other load on it
and take your home power from the existing feed

If you wanted to be extremely bad, you could connect to the neighbours
power, feed it via an isolation transformer and bridge rectifier into
the inverter, and split the difference with them :), though this and
other similar methods are very likely to lead to trouble and arent
recommended.

.

Re: Solar Power....

Yes, a separate connection would work technically, unfortunately it
would also incur a standard recurring Supply Charge even though you
may never actually draw power from it.

This + the capital cost of setting up a new connection would certainly
outway any benefit.

If you did try to push back power from some source other than solar, I
imagine Western Power would soon be aware of it, as the maximum size
solar installation is 4kW and I imagine they would have a fair idea as
to what the maximum feed in would be, so if they found they were
paying for substantially more, you could expect a knock on the
door....

Re: Solar Power....
Where did you get the 4kw from , if true it would make our installation
physically impossible .

--

Re: Solar Power....

The forms that I had to fill in to apply for the feed in and
permission to install,  stated 4kW as a maximum - now that you have
raised a doubt in my mind, it may have been 5kW but I don't think so.

I know that there are bigger installations around but I think they are
under a different feed in tariff.

Are you also in WA?

Re: Solar Power....
Power
various
Qld
  and a much larger system , I know of one at 18kw being basically a
power farm

--

Re: Solar Power....
Power

Around Brisbane with at least one major supplier, it depends on how
big the transformer is for that street.  In the case of a friend of
mine in Brisbane
his street is strictly limited to 5kw per household.  He found this
out after signing up for, paying for and installing a 8kw system after
being told by the power company that this was ok.
(At present 3kw of panels are installed but not connected.)

He is in the process of designing a micro controller based system that
can switch panels in and out of the circuit depending on his own
household power usage, and the sunlight conditions to make sure that
the 5KW feed out limit is maintained for as long as possible during
the day, but not exceeded (in compliance with the Electricity
supplier's 5KW rules).

There are 3 other visible large installations in neighbouring homes
(about 5kw)

This limit may increase in future as the mains and pole transformers
are upgraded.

Re: Solar Power....

 8<---------------
 He is in the process of designing a micro controller based system that
can switch panels in and out of the circuit depending on his own
household power usage, and the sunlight conditions to make sure that
the 5KW feed out limit is maintained for as long as possible during
the day, but not exceeded (in compliance with the Electricity
supplier's 5KW rules).

This would surely have pass certain standards before integration

Re: Solar Power....

Probably so, but he owns an electronic manufacturing and designing
business,
has a qualified electrician on staff, so it shouldn't be a drama.

Re: Solar Power....

There are a lot in South East QLD also.  I have seen about 10 places
on my travels where roofs are covered with them. One has over 60 panels

Re: Solar Power....

I'm on 3 phase, so do they just feed-in on a single phase?

Or would I be up for a no-doubt-more-expensive 3ph converter?

Chris.

Re: Solar Power....

No, you pick just one phase.
Pick the one that's got the least use in daytime:)

Tony

Site Timeline