Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions - Page 6

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

The solar HWS is a personal thing that only reduces demand for
electricity. The PV installation reduces demand for electricity and has
the potential to boost the mains supply at times of greatest demand.

Somewhere I found a claim that properly installed Pv can supply over 9KwH/
day/square metre at peak summer (Canberra, straight north, over 9 deg
tilt).

Pollies do not want blackout. A few $8,000 subsides might buy time whilst
the impact of the Carbon Reduction Scheme is sorted out and new
generators come forth.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich

It's a very expensive way of supporting peak load.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

I suppose you can keep banging on with that same old cracked record. It
fills a production niche that can not be filled any other way.

Some electricty production is expensive, other is cheap.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

That cuts both ways.

Which would that be?

Yes, and solar panel based production is about as expensive as it comes.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

You got your sums wrong by a factor of about TEN. Your advice is crap.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

No it's not. This was all discussed a few weeks ago. You're either a
slow learner or mischievous.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Just because it was discussed a few weeks ago doesn't mean that it's not
a very expensive way of supporting peak load.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

You can't do sums then. PV solar is insanely expensive.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Any chance of a cost per watt figure to back that up.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

The OP quoted a figure of $4440 after an $8000 rebate for a 1KW PV
system. So that's $12440 per kW, or $12.44 per watt.

This petrol generator

http://www.generatorplace.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id16%&Itemid=6

costs $6,298, and is rated at $5500, or $1.14 per watt.

Of course, they're not directly comparable because the petrol generator
requires fuel, and maintenance. But it won't need much of either if it's
only being used to support unusual peak loads of the kind you get on hot
sunny days.

Commercial extreme peak load generation is probably diesel based,
reflecting the fact that when generators are subject to infrequent use,
it makes economic sense to minimise the capital invested, even though
that results in higher fuel costs.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

http://www.generatorplace.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id16%&Itemid=6

With co-gen MAN offer 95% efficient diesel power plants.
http://www.mandiesel.com/category_000583.html

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Provide a panel cost, cost of finance, infrastructure cost e.g. inverters
for grid connect and maintenance and you can get a good estimate.

Of course the real cost varies with season.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Significantly.

Minimally.

Not possible.
http://www.apricus.com/html/insolation_levels_asiap.htm
This doesn't have Canberra on it, but take say Sydney.
Yearly average insolation is 4.56 kWh / m2. Peak summer 6.6 kWh / m2

Average solar panel efficiency is 15% so you'd get almost exactly 1 kWh / day
/ m2

You're only out by a factor of about TEN ! In fact your number would break the
laws of thermodynamics not to mention a few other things.

DO THE SUMS and DON'T beleive the bullshit advertising and green propaganda.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Finally, you provide something.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

I provided it several posts back had you been looking.

Insolation maps / data are critical to determining PV solar output. I have
links to maps for Europe and the CONUS too if these are of interest.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

I'm not worried about old panels. Production cells are now 21% and up to
36% with a concentrator (but that present heat problems).

The 41% is new tech from Boeing, but not in production.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Have you a cite for the concentrator figure? It doesn't sound right that
a concentrator should increase the efficiency (as distinct from the
power output per unit area of PV cell).

And price yet to be determined.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Cite ? 15% is typical to good for commercial cells.

Exactly. Note that efficiency falls off as the cell gets hotter, presumably
due to intrinsic ( leakage ) conduction in the silicon.

Double junction technology and monstrously expensive. Great for satellites
though.

What you haven't mentioned is that the new cheap thin film panels are only ~
7% efficient.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

i wasn't aware that they were in production, particularly in the form
that they would be useful (complete roof coverage).

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

They are in limited production e.g. http://www.nanosolar.com /

I haven't found the site very informative other than they claim to be able
to make panels that cost USD1 per peak watt output. However with lower
efficiency, you need more space to install them.

Graham

Site Timeline