Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

That is easy to check and it would show up as a green/wet patch. It is something I do regularly. In anycase, OffPeak consumption has dropped this period, when I would expect it to be going up.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich

Just to be clear, I meant that the valve itself was leaking, not that the fitting was leaking. If the valve is leaking, then water is released into a pipe, and that may or may not lead to obvious consequences, depending on where the water is dumped.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Umm, where do you think the green patch comes from? Hint, think monocotyledon species under the end of the pressure release pipe.

FWIIW, when I live in flats, you could easily spot the leaking relief valves on the outside of the wall as they dripped.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
terryc

Might be time to swap the current system out if it's more than 10 years old solar and if not solar > be-gone spot out with you

Reply to
atec 7 7

Naah, on;y a couple of years old. I would be happy if they lasted beyond

10 years. Why can we not get get replacement anodes?
--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
terryc

I have no idea about the anodes but expect a replacement can be made . sS far the only solar we have run past ten years personally simply failed , started leaking from the glass heat unit and died at 12 years after springing several leaks , during winter we had to turn the booster on for close to 15 days for the year.... disappointingly and the new unit performed much better .

Reply to
atec 7 7

my understanding is that they are sacrificial and if you replace can replace them, you keep(reduce) the rust out of the drum, which is usually the cause of failure with mine.

Did you investigate? did the glass crack? Or did seals need replacing?

We are currently lagging all out hot water pipes and wrapping insulation (rubber mats) around the unti to see if that cuts heat loss. The lagging follows on from this temperature mixer that is compulsory now. we have to waste ~3 mins of tap flow to get hot water for a shower or in the sink.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
terryc

Indeed there is . Even more interesting is why they are happy to hand out $8K grants for Solar PV , but only $1.5K for solar hot water heaters. The Hot Water Heaters win hands down for energy saved versus cost, but it seems that saving energy isnt as "warm and fuzzy" as making energy.

Reply to
Mauried

It will cut heat loss, but I doubt it'll do anything much to solve your

3 minute problem. The water in the pipe is not going to stay hot for long even when the pipe is lagged.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

We will see. Hopefully it will reduce heat being drained from the tank via the copper piping to the outside. The extra 3'/1m involved in piping in the mixer is significant that close to the tank.

It might also increase the pipe cool down time between people taking showers, etc.

The "lagging" is 1" think poly insulation tubing.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
terryc

no

The solar water heater rebate makes it a marginal investment. The $8000 rebate for solar PV makes that a marginal investment. Apparently the government likes creating situations in which people are placed into an area of uncertainty as to where their best interests lie.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

The solar HWS is a personal thing that only reduces demand for electricity. The PV installation reduces demand for electricity and has the potential to boost the mains supply at times of greatest demand.

Somewhere I found a claim that properly installed Pv can supply over 9KwH/ day/square metre at peak summer (Canberra, straight north, over 9 deg tilt).

Pollies do not want blackout. A few $8,000 subsides might buy time whilst the impact of the Carbon Reduction Scheme is sorted out and new generators come forth.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
terryc

It's a very expensive way of supporting peak load.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I suppose you can keep banging on with that same old cracked record. It fills a production niche that can not be filled any other way.

Some electricty production is expensive, other is cheap.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
terryc

The heat exchanger was internally eroded away , a the anode did not save it but the water here is quite course

Our new place doesn't have a/c , it does however run a large network or water pipes under the floor with a large water heating unit on the roof and a large pipe passing underground with the house iar pumped through it for cooling ( pommie idea) which is mega cheap to run ( 2 metres down the soil is at 4C all year round )

Reply to
atec 7 7

That cuts both ways.

Which would that be?

Yes, and solar panel based production is about as expensive as it comes.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

No it's not. This was all discussed a few weeks ago. You're either a slow learner or mischievous.

Reply to
Davo

Just because it was discussed a few weeks ago doesn't mean that it's not a very expensive way of supporting peak load.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Significantly.

Minimally.

Not possible.

This doesn't have Canberra on it, but take say Sydney. Yearly average insolation is 4.56 kWh / m2. Peak summer 6.6 kWh / m2

Average solar panel efficiency is 15% so you'd get almost exactly 1 kWh / day / m2

You're only out by a factor of about TEN ! In fact your number would break the laws of thermodynamics not to mention a few other things.

DO THE SUMS and DON'T beleive the bullshit advertising and green propaganda.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You got your sums wrong by a factor of about TEN. Your advice is crap.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore