Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions - Page 2

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

ASIO spy equipment in the ceiling is more likely. I'm also pretty sure
that the cats haven't smuggled in a heated pad as they sleep everywhere.

Yep, BTDT, but that doesn't check calibration.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich

No, I meant that as an additional check.

An appliance such as a heater is likely to draw pretty much what the
rating plate says. Meters have markings on them to indicate how many
turns of the disc per kWh, or in the case of modern digital meters, how
many times an led will flash per kWh, or the energy represented by each
flash.

So, albeit with a bit of work, it is possible to check that the meter is
recording the amount of energy that the heater would use in a given
time. Any significant discrepancy would demand further investigation.

Another possibility is that the pressure relief valve in your HWS is
leaking.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

That is easy to check and it would show up as a green/wet patch. It is
something I do regularly. In anycase, OffPeak consumption has dropped
this period, when I would expect it to be going up.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Just to be clear, I meant that the valve itself was leaking, not that
the fitting was leaking. If the valve is leaking, then water is released
into a pipe, and that may or may not lead to obvious consequences,
depending on where the water is dumped.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Umm, where do you think the green patch comes from?
Hint, think monocotyledon species under the end of the pressure release
pipe.

FWIIW, when I live in flats, you could easily spot the leaking relief
valves on the outside of the wall as they dripped.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions
Might be time to swap the current system out if it's more than 10 years
old solar and if not solar > be-gone spot out with you

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Naah, on;y a couple of years old. I would be happy if they lasted beyond
10 years. Why can we not get get replacement anodes?

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions
I have no idea about the anodes but expect a replacement can be made .
  sS far the only solar we have run past ten years personally simply
failed , started leaking from the glass heat unit and died at 12 years
after springing several leaks , during winter we had to turn the booster
on for close to 15 days for the year.... disappointingly and the new
unit performed much better .

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

my understanding is that they are sacrificial and if you replace can
replace them, you keep(reduce) the rust out of the drum, which is usually
the cause of failure with mine.

Did you investigate?
did the glass crack?
Or did seals need replacing?

We are currently lagging all out hot water pipes and wrapping insulation
(rubber mats) around the unti to see if that cuts heat loss.
The lagging follows on from this temperature mixer that is compulsory
now. we have to waste ~3 mins of tap flow to get hot water for a shower
or in the sink.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

It will cut heat loss, but I doubt it'll do anything much to solve your
3 minute problem. The water in the pipe is not going to stay hot for
long even when the pipe is lagged.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

We will see. Hopefully it will reduce heat being drained from the tank
via the copper piping to the outside. The extra 3'/1m involved in piping
in the mixer is significant that close to the tank.

It might also increase the pipe cool down time between people taking
showers, etc.

The "lagging" is 1" think poly insulation tubing.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions
  The heat exchanger was internally eroded away , a the anode did not
save it but the water here is quite course
  Our new place doesn't have a/c , it does however run a large network
or water pipes under the floor with a large water heating unit on the
roof and a large pipe passing underground with the house iar pumped
through it for cooling ( pommie idea) which is mega cheap to run ( 2
metres down the soil is at 4C all year round )

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions
[...]

I found that my expensive microwave pulls an insane amount of power when
it not in use. I've seen the same thing with TVs, too.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions
Easy to solve , pull an item each day while recoding consumption , often
the fridge as it ages or that telly

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

I discovered this when I hooked up each device through an AC ammeter. I
was *NOT* impressed!

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

The amount of current it's drawing is not a measure of the amount of
power it's consuming, because it doesn't tell you the phase relationship.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

That is what I am doing. disappointed that the acre of glass (CRTTV) did
not draw oodles of juice so I could blame the high electricity bill on it.

The microwave draws nil as it has a mechanical switch.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Caveat, it draws 0.24 aps for 80% of the time and 4.5Amps for 10%.ten
second periods. We think it is breaking down.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

The 4.5A will be when the magnetron is operating.

On older (non-inverter) microwaves, it's normal for them to cycle the
magnetron on & off to provide the lower power settings.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

We were going to buy a new one,until I turned this unit around to see
what is should be and the label said 4.2A. Shrug, nothing wrong with it.

Site Timeline