Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Does anyone have any experience on how long it takes to re-coup your money
on one of these systems ?
The sales pitch looks fabulous but after getting the calculator out it
doesn't seem so good.
Apart from the philsophical / green reasons for going solar , does the $$$
add up ??

Where I live they are being advertised for ~ $4000 + $440 for a new meter &
connection to the Grid ( after the govt $8000 rebates etc ) so about $4400
total installed cost

It seems pretty hard to calculate how much I would save per quarter on my
bills , so many variables of sunny days , overcast days , altitude , power
usage etc etc

At a guess of $50 per quarter savings on electricity , its going to take 22
years to break even.......and if it was $100 per quarter , then 11 years.
Is this correct or am I missing something ????

With *only* a 1kW system it seems unlikely to be putting anything much back
into the grid , even if the power company will pay me 44c for it ????

Any real world experience anyone

Regards
Andrew

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Have a look at

http://scarborofun.com/solar.html

It's a bit messy but should give you a basic idea.

The system has cost me $2750 + $655 for the new meter.
The $8000 rebate and about $560 for RECs have to be added to get the total cost.
In WA the cost per kWh will rise in July to 17.7c.
Don't know how much I will be able to charge for my feed in after 30.6.09.

Tony

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Is money other people have paid in taxes to subsidise a wasteful technology.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions
Fact is importing a 2kw system directly bypassing the huge markup doing
an own install means much less cost and a viable system with a small
wind genny to top off ..
  Only other thing we did was swap to gas in the kitchen and fill at the
local forklift place .

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Url?

Are you licensed to connect to ains or standalone?

That is what we have.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions
  google any one of dozens of small chinese suppliers
  we bought through the business from Singapore
  I employ people who are , I do little installation these days being
forced to be the watcher
  get a wind genny , chinese unit at 600>800 watts costs bugger all ,
you just end up with an odd barrel on the roof.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

so, it is $8,000 in my pocket and insignificant compared to the millions
given to other wasteful industries.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

So you approve of stealing other peoples' money to prop up a fraud ?

You want SOLAR ? Get Solar THERMAL !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Spain

PV is a waste of time and the alleged cheap new 'thin film' panels have half
the efficiency of crystalline.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Isn't that how our system works?
My point was that the government hands out money to various businesses
for dubious reasons and I've noticed a distinct lack of protest about
that.

Plus, I'm still coming to grips with the fraud part as you claim.

I would if I could stick in in my backyard. Have any DIY plans?

In certain applications, yes.

The word is proposed and as such they are just something to watch for the
future. Perhaps if I ever re-roof or build another house, they might be
around by then.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

And how many more $8,000's ?

Oh you like to rob people do you ? PV solar is insane compared to solar
thermal.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Agreed, but, PV is personal and intimate and offers me certain advantages
when t is on my roof.

Solar thermal s just another huge, remote and unreliable technology on an
equal footing to a coal fired power station as far as I'm concerned.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Looks to me like the sole advantage is that you can be assured of some
power on sunny days that are hot enough to cause power outages.

However you could get the same assurance, at much less cost, by buying a
petrol driven generator.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Nope. A decent petrol gennie would cost nearly as much up front and the
difference would soon go up the spout in petrol costs. A decent petrol
gennie runs for hours and is built for it and is not a $169 special.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Your 1KW solar panel still costs you in the region of $4000, after
rebates. That buys a very nice generator indeed. Further, the fuel costs
are pretty much irrelevant, because if you're only using it during power
outages, it uses very little fuel. In addition, you'd be protected
against outages in the evening, when your solar panels are just a load
on your roof structure.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Sadly not. there is a whole pile of crap associated with keeping petrol
suitable for use in long term storage. It would be worth the effort of
going LPG/NG just to avoid this problem.

And produces very little power.

Naah, a couple of deep discharge batteries will cover the needed/
essential stuff that the LPG systems don't already cover (cooking,
heating and lighting). Camping gear is very useful in this regard.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Cooking and heating use a lot of electricity.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Yes, which is why our stove top is gas and we still have a wood heater,
which is shortly to be replaced by gas.

We swapped out the electric kettle for the cuppa after the last bill. It
pulled 9.? amps to boil a cuppa. Next target is the acre of glass in a
free TV we were given.

We have gone from 19.1Kwh/day to 26.3Kwh/day in a year and we haven't a
clue what is the source. (yes, we do no use dryer, little oven use, etc)

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich

The amps isn't the issue, it's the Wh ( or Joules if you prefer ).

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Well, I can measure amps and calculated KiloWatthours from that which is
what I get killed for on the electricity bill.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

It takes a certain irreducible about of energy to boil water. If you buy
a kettle that draws a lower current, it will simply take longer to boil
the water. But you can make a saving by investing in a modern type of
kettle with a flat element, because you avoid having to boil more water
than you intend to use merely so that the element is covered.

Maybe time to check for unauthorised cabling leading to your neighbour.

Or check the calibration of your meter.

Does the meter stop when everything is turned off?

Sylvia.

Site Timeline