Solar Battery Technology

I'd heard that adding two percent silver to the metal grids
of lead acid batteries prevents the Brown (Positive?) plate
grid from progressively dissolving with charging and extends
the life by at least double.

     Caterpillar used to do this for their old earthmoving
machine batteries and a guy I know has had his in a tractor
on constant solar trickle charge for 28 years now with
occasional weekly use.

   I'd like to see more NiFe cells for sale too, it should be
possible with modern high purity materials to reduce the self
discharge rate and increase the charging efficiency. There are
examples of NiFe's that still work fine and are over 100 years
old. And they are made from relatively non toxic metals.

Re: Solar Battery Technology

Making things to last?
Using relatively no toxic materials?
I want to know what drugs you are on so I can have some too. :P

Re: Solar Battery Technology

Unfortunately NiFe batteries are so danged expensive it takes special
applications to justify their use.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Battery Technology

  They were invented by the developer of wet cell nicads as a much
cheaper alternative to nicads. Theres no reason they can't be the same
cost or cheaper than lead acid batteries.

Re: Solar Battery Technology

You say this on the basis of what knowledge ?

Graham

Re: Solar Battery Technology

   It's all the fumes from this little known brand of Jamaican solder
I get sent over.

Re: Solar Battery Technology

Good one Mark. :-)

Re: Solar Battery Technology

Maybe it does. What would be the cost though ? Is it cost effective ?

Do you have a cite for this ? Bear in mind that lead-acid batteries have
quite low energy density compared to more modern types.

Graham

Site Timeline