solar 1kw installation; inverter rs232port

Many people (like myself) are installing 1kw grid tie inverter systems to take advantage of rebate system. I am happy with it except the solar installer doesnt have technical knowledge about interfacing to the rs232 port on the inverter for data logging etc. The inverter is a generic rebadged brand so cant contact manufacturer. cms-2000

I am wondering if anyone has played with the serial port of their grid tie. What baud rate? Can you use hyperterminal that comes with xp. What command do you send to it?

Reply to
tuppy

Who did you use?

nope, but there are two general problems; wiring, then settings.

If you have never connected anything else to your serial port, you are on a steep learning curve.

What wiring depends on what the ports on each end are. It depends if is DTE or DCE on the solar boxen, whether you need a straight through or crossover(null modem) cable.

Basically, there are null modem cables and null modem cables.

Then is depends on protocol, 9600, 8,N,1,P was common.

Practical steps, get a null modem cale and join them together. Load hyperterminal, config for direct and above and tape the keys.

Try Xon/xoff forst over hardwire(?)

If you get garbage, especially a good strong string(menu?), then wiring is generally okay and it is just a matter of protocol settings.

This sort of stuff is why I keep a couple of serial terminals around. Save fighting terminal programs(hyper,mnicom,etc) to sort out basics.

Reply to
terryc

You mean stealing other peoples' tax money. You should be ashamed of yourself. Solar thermal is vastly better.

PV is a JOKE.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

On 20 Apr 2009 01:19:24 GMT, terryc put finger to keyboard and composed:

You can tell which pins are outputs by looking for +/-12V. Inputs will probably be floating.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

With that attitude, I hope you have not accepted any government super co- contributions.

Reply to
terryc

Sometimes they appear to have very weak pullups (pull-downs?) but sticking a 1K resistor to ground will sort out which pins are outputs and which aren't.

Reply to
rebel

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:24:13 +0800, rebel put finger to keyboard and composed:

CMS2.0 kW Grid PV-Inverter Installation and Operation Manual Version

2.5 E 2008.07:

The RS232 port is a DB9 connector with only 3 pins being used, TxD (2), RxD (3), and Common (5).

Page 29 of the manual states ...

  1. Optional communications port: This port is a very powerful extension. Inverter can accept a special card designed for the port only. The RS485 card is used to work with Inverter?s EZ logger and in multiple monitoring applications. CMS plan to release other communication cards in the near future.
  2. Firmware upgrade: To keep the firmware up to-date, use the RS232 port and supplied program to upgrade firmware.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:55:37 -0700 (PDT), tuppy put finger to keyboard and composed:

I suspect that the manufacturer may be Phoenixtec. They claim to be the leading UPS maker in Taiwan. In fact if you search for phrases from the CMS manual, you will find Phoenixtec Sunville manuals with the same phrases, especially in the troubleshooting section, and with the same typos and identical Chinglish.

See the indoor unit on page 3 of this brochure:

Here is a brochure for their EZ logger:

The CMS-2000 could be a Phoenixtec indoor model PV-2000X or similar.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Do they even know? I thought these were incompatible standards?

Reply to
terryc

On 21 Apr 2009 23:59:06 GMT, terryc put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hmmm. The EZ logger has both interfaces, although its RS232 port appears to be used for modem hookups. It looks like the logger is meant to be installed indoors and connected to the inverter via an RS485 run. RS485 is optional for the inverter, but standard for the logger.

BTW, I just received a quote via telephone. Aussie Solar use Google Earth to view your house. They can determine an optimum location for your panels, and can even suggest where to put your inverter. I reckon I will see payback within 5 years, or maybe even 3, if the NSW government increases the buy-back tariff for power returned to the grid. At the very least it should increase the value of your home, or your estate.

I can't locate where I read this, but it appears that the inverter shuts down when mains power is lost to prevent power being fed into the grid when linesmen could be working on it.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Its a disgrace what the goverment is doing. Giving $8k to families who earn under $100k so they can put in 1kw is absolutely rediculous. The difference once you go from $99,999 to $100,001 is stupid. A 1kw system typically costs $12k, but only $4k on the rebate.. a 66.6% discount, thats rediculous. The people who earn over $100k have to pay 3 times as much, not to mention that its their taxes paying for the other people anyway.

What the goverment doesn't understand is that the price of panels are largly set by the price of existing electricity. WIthout the repayment its about 20 years until it pays off, most studies show solar panels aren't even carbon neutral until 15 years, 30 years if the water used to make them comes from de-sal. They are just a joke - like water tanks.

Reply to
MisterE

any credibility you had went out the window with that statement. It is a well known fact that the more people earn, the less tax they pay in this country, unless they are total fools. Ergo, Big Kezza having a taxable income of $17,000 one year.

Reply to
terryc

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:49:13 +1000, "MisterE" put finger to keyboard and composed:

The rebate system is due to change very soon. AIUI, after next month everyone will get a non-means-tested $5K rebate or credit. Of course this means that, after next month, *nobody* will find it economical to install a PV system.

As of this moment, each PV installation comes with 21 Renewable Energy Credits. Aussie Solar offer to buy these from you for $1K. I don't know whether these will still be available after the Budget. In fact I am having a lot of trouble determining their actual market value, or finding a way to sell them on the open market.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Err, so if I do it now, I get $4k, but if I wait I can get $5k

and if Aussie solar do it, I can sell the Energy Credits for $1,000 extra? (what is the catch?)

Reply to
terryc

On 22 Apr 2009 22:23:47 GMT, terryc put finger to keyboard and composed:

Yes, that's how I understand it.

It doesn't matter who supplies the equipment. AIUI, any renewable energy "project" is assessed for its eligibility for carbon credits. A

1kW PV project is worth 21MWh over some defined life span, and this equates to 21 RECs. These credits can be traded, or offset against one's carbon generating activities.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

rn

ce

sts

at

gly

20

I wouldn't buy them for "carbon" purposes - the whole AGW scam is just a crock of bullshit anyway.

The panels could be useful for emergency power - once the state governments/greenies and the economic crisis inevitably run the electrical (and every other) infrastructure into the ground and we have constant daily blackouts / shortages.

For example, a 1kw unit could run a small refrigerator for several hours a day, and charge batteries for running modest lighting / small TV / laptop and ADSL box etc in the evening.

A generator would be needed as backup though, but to fuel the thing all day wouldn't be cheap. The solar system would probably save money in generator fuel ?

Agree on the tank theory too. since the average household supposedly uses 1 kl per day, ( 1 kl =3D $1 on our local water rates) and the suggested tank capacity (local council building regulations for all new homes) is 5000L, the tank holds $5 of water - or 5 days with normal family use.

If it rained enough every 5 days to fill the thing, then you would save your entire water rate charge, ($365 a year based on above figures). in 10 years you might have the cost of your tank and its related pump / plumbing repaid - not counting interest etc.

In a normal world - where we currently live right now - where there is 24h water and electricity, both of these items are financially impractical.

In a future world where we are screwed with carbon taxes etc, it might be a different story

Reply to
KR

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:55:37 -0700 (PDT), tuppy put finger to keyboard and composed:

The following document may provide a clue. It is for a UPS RS232 interface, but maybe some commands are similar.

Phoenixtec UPS Communication Protocol:

For example, you could try the ID (UPS ID enquiry) command, or Q (Status Inquiry), or Q1 (Status Inquiry - typically used by CheckUPS), or T (test).

Another way is to obtain a firmware upgrade and look for text strings in the image file.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar