So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey? - Page 2

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?
GST. And it is legal.

There is no way they have to pay Australian GST, as there is no mechanism in
place to collect this tax for the
Australian Tax Office.

However there may be tax and duties payable in the country you are exporting to.
Countries like India, and Brazil are bad, as they generally hit all imports
hard. Brazil often wants up to 100% tax.
India seems to change the rules depending on the colour of the customs officer's
hair.

Most other countries ignore values less than $100, as it is a matter of how much
you spend collecting such a small
amount for tax purposes.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

Ditto on that.

I sold a racing type m/cycle carby to a guy in Germany and he had to
pay a hefty tax to get it.

He described the process at the time and it was a huge time waster for
him and the several local authorities involved.

I think the package even had to be unwrapped with some official present
and the tax payable depended on whether or not a payment receipt was in
the package.

I remember I had to send across a copy of the Ebay Paypal advice before
they would let him pick it up first time around coz they didn't believe
it was bought on line.

Shit, I mean, who needs all that run around?

--

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

Strangely, Germany is one of the few countries that you can't insure an air mail
package to:
http://auspost.com.au/apps/international-post-guide.html

I guess it must be because of the war. WWI? WWII? Don't mention the war!

When I started selling on-line in 1993, it was really a case of suck it and see.
You had no idea of what counties would
have customs difficulties, and what countries would regularly have packages go
missing.

Today things run a lot smoother, and I know they will get easier as more
countries get better acquainted with on-line
sales. Customs people will get very used to the routine, and make their jobs
easier eventually, as they are bombarded
with packages. Have to clone good sniffer dogs, etc.

In Australia, Ebay now has a contract to assist the Australian Post Office with
deliveries from overseas. Which means a
shift from traditional local retailing, to on-line overseas sales, with
additional distribution channels here to get the
product to the Australian customer. I can see courier services expanding here in
the immediate future, to cater for this
explosion.

What I don't understand is how the finances work with incoming parcels from
overseas, and the APO's income breakdown.
Any prominent postie personal present?

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

Australia Post seems to be trying to rub out the independent parcel
delivery guys these days.

I used to get stuff delivered by independents such as the local crash
repair company, who got maximum value out of their work van/spare parts
guy by getting him to courier parcels in his down time.

Haven't seen a non Aust Post type van for quite a while.

--

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

guys these days.

Fat chance.

I saw one today.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

It has nothing to do with AP, but the fact that most couriers are
franchise holders for the bigger courier companies. They just collect
and deliver to their area and feed in or collect from the "regional
centre(meeting place). hare for an independent to find enough local work.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

GST. And it is legal.
place to collect this tax for the Australian Tax
to.
hard. Brazil often wants up to 100% tax. India seems
much you spend collecting such a small amount for tax

The EU countries all charge their own version of GST plus duty if applicable.
The Poms have just put up
their GST to 20%. Germany has charged 19% for many years. You have to search the
customs data to
see if what you are importing attracts duty as well.
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/index_en.htm

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

The Poms have just put up
the customs data to

Thanks Fritz,

a good reference site.

I saw the Taxation: Commission launches debate on the future of Value Added Tax
(VAT) document is available in HTML,
PDF, and DOC, and all in a choice of 22 languages.

After a lot of looking, I found the pdf for VAT rates:
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/rates/vat_rates_en.pdf

WOW!
25% for Denmark, and Sweden.
This is a joke, right?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

The Poms have just put up
the customs data to
Tax (VAT) document is available in HTML, PDF, and DOC,
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/rates/vat_rates_en.pdf

More than a few EU countries have max. 25% VAT, but they all have different
sub-rates and exemptions etc. for
things like nappies .....

In Germany the tax/duties have to be paid either in advance (hardly ever happens
that way, all Internet suppliers
disclaim responsibility) or when you collect the goods. Usually, they will be
delivered to your door together with
a customs assessment, which you have to pay on the spot. If you have done your
homework and told the supplier
the relevant TARIC code to put on the delivery docket, you will avoid any
hassles. For example, if I wanted to buy
a Rigol DSO from a Hong Kong internet supplier, I would have to quote the
relevant TARIC code from :
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate20%101221&Area=HK&Taric90%30200000&LangDescr=en
I can't avoid the 19% German VAT (MWST in Kraut-speak!), but I could avoid an
extra 4% duty by noting that the
Rigol is not a 'CRT oscilloscope', it is an 'electronic oscilloscope'. Such is
the crap in the detail of GST laws everywhere.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

I worked with a guy who was associated with the ANCAP vehicle testing
program for many years.

He said that's how they do it, and a prime example was US made engines
that were brought across to Oz.

He's been in the industry for years and said it's the way they operate.

Maybe as it's within the same company they can make it look like an
internal money transfer between divisions.

--

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

GST. And it is legal.

No you can't, unless the value is less than 50 or  so Euro.
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/index_en.htm

you do. It's called China.
be no advantage for them to buy from you.
$1000AUD.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?
GST. And it is legal.

correcto-mondo Fritz :-)

yes it has to be of low value. I am just checking that site out you gave, to see
if we have a pdf that covers all countries.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie