Sneaky bastards!

Went shopping in Dymocks (Sydney city store) on Friday. Just as I was leaving, my mobile 'phone made a sound that I'd never heard before. I looked at the screen, to be greeted with a Bluetooth advertisement from Dymocks. Neat technology. I didn't realise it could be done.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

In North America, if you go in to some large shopping centres, they are broadcasting on Bluetooth advertising to buy products. The first time I saw this, I was surprised. You have to have the phone set for non discovery, or better yet turn off the Bluetooth when not required. This is to avoid the transmissions from ringing your phone and then producing advertisements on its screen when you press the OK or Enter key.

--

JANA
_____

"Trevor Wilson"  wrote in message
Went shopping in Dymocks (Sydney city store) on Friday. Just as I was
leaving, my mobile \'phone made a sound that I\'d never heard before. I looked
at the screen, to be greeted with a Bluetooth advertisement from Dymocks.
Neat technology. I didn\'t realise it could be done.
Reply to
JANA

Shopping centres round my way have been doing it for years, the cinema send you trailers for movies and everything. You have to turn your bluetooth off when you go there.

Reply to
Dand

city store) on Friday. Just as I was leaving,

Why would you pay for anything over Bluetooth?, it does not use the GSM connection. Unless of course there is some even sneakier system that allows one of these Bluetooth "messages" to trigger an automatic download from the GSM connection?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones