Smoke/Fire Detectors/Alarms

Hey, Would anyone know where I can source Smoke or Fire Dectors for Alarm systems In Australia. I see the odd one forsale that has a reporting feature however $80+ is the price and it looks dodgy. I really am looking for some like the ones used in complete alarm systems,No fancy flashing lights and 9V batteries or mains connections.

I have looked high and low for these and cannot find any,I really need about 5 of them,to run for different sectors,and opperate a electronic water valve in the event of alarm.

Reply to
jjbruce

You'll probably have to pay at least that for a commercial device that can be linked to an alarm panel. By the way, smoke and fire detectors are two quite different things, and there are a number of different types of each. Exactly what is it that you want to detect?

I'm guessing that you consider $80 too high because you're comparing it to the consumer units with 9v batteries that sell for under ten bucks. Technically, it would be possible to connect these cheapie units to an alarm panel (or other device) with some simple circuitry - Silicon Chip magazine did an article about this, I believe in January and February of

1997.

However, if you're worried that an $80 unit may be a little dodgy, I think that you modifying a $10 would be a whole lot dodgier...

You mean like a fire sprinkler system? I'm more than a little worried that you may be trying to bite off more than you can chew.

Peter

Reply to
Pete

OK, poll here, how often does commercial grade/quality fire detection systems (and maybe even suppression systems of whatever sort) go across ebay and what seems to be the average price? I have been meaning to research into this for some time but have had too many other projects (electronical and other) on my list. Yes I'm being lazy here but it does relate to this question.

Reply to
Tsunami

Not very often....when they do...they are second hand..this is OK...and cheap. A coupe HVAC rackmount system's for Data centers went out for $150,thats if they sold,I don't think they included sensors,however looked great.

Reply to
jjbruce

I don't mind paying for a quality device,smoke is possibly better to detect than fire...lol ha ha.....

The only thing stopping me from instant deployment once parts are sourced is local council,plumber inspections,and all the rest of regulation...its bloody law now in Tasmania that all HVAC type systems must be inspected via plumber,even if they are just air vents,all this following a council planning permit and application for development.....ha ha..and a couple thousand in government tax and admin fee's,and this would be for a commercial system that already has an engineering certificate and is ticked for australian standards. I can't ever see that the council would ever know what to do about my setup for protection from arson or targeted crime.

What they cant see won't hurt,and if I get wet,and water dose not drain away,and I fry myself in 12VDC I will survive,and so will all my junk. Don't worry there are no 240vAC power points arround,they will be installed after ward.

Reply to
jjbruce

Only Licenced personel can go near the place for further peace of mind. Council,Police,Hydro Man..... I have started taking them not very seriously as last time I heard from the council,they sent me a change of use notice,and I told them i was opperating a Lab. I fully belived if they had any sense they sould be wearing bio-harzard suits for an inspection,however they seemed to just rely on their insurance company instead,And the Hydro man last i knew of him he forced his way through a steel gate to get to the meter box....lol. And the police well from my last post about the MCM alarm,panel,they can't catch truck loads of stuff going missing every time I visit my own property,over a period of 6 years(yeah i have lots of junk) I got them stalled now though,Video camera's all round,and locals thinking that someone new has moved in.....pity most seem to think my camera's are expensive outside lights that don't work. Someone did try to burn the place down about 7 years ago,in the summer when I went away for a couple of hours,however,their attempt was rather farmy with a few sticks that the wind blew out.

Reply to
jjbruce

will get you started ...

Reply to
atec

What kind of alarm system are you looking to hook it up to? 5 single zone panels or say an 8 zone system with only 5 zones used?

The cheapest option would be a number of 12V smoke detectors suitable for a security system which provide an auxilary contact for switching equipment.

Might I add if you plan on flooding equipment, I'd be putting two smoke detectors in and set it up so that both have to activate before you flood the place.

Reply to
David Sauer