Smart meters aint so smart..

Although I'm on a dual tariff, my new 'Smart' meter does not display the
off peak usage, as my previous 'dumb' meter did. We need to rely on the
accuracy of the data provided to our electricity retailer by the service
provider.

See this post (not mine)..
http://forums.energymatters.com.au/solar-wind-gear/topic1790.html

Not really good enough, is it.

--
rgds,

Pete
=====

Re: Smart meters aint so smart..
peak usage, as my previous 'dumb' meter
retailer by the service provider.
http://forums.energymatters.com.au/solar-wind-gear/topic1790.html

If smart meters are so smart, why can't they tell the time of day?
Half the year, mine is an hour out.

Even Gill Bates can get this right most of the time. :-)
With all the Windows PCs I am running, I can't remember the last time I had to
manually intervene. Has to be many years.

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Smart meters aint so smart..

They run on real time.

rgds,

Pete
=====

Re: Smart meters aint so smart..

Your meter may be one of these:
http://www2.energyaustralia.com.au/internet/pdfs/ES3%20Part%20B+CIA1347.pdf

In the section about the EM-1000 meter it states that the time will
always be EST, no daylight saving adjustments are made.

"Please note that the meter will always operate on Australian Eastern
Standard Time (AEST). There will be no change to the displayed time due
to Daylight Saving Time."

It would be easier for the energy supplier to adjust the tarrif times
rather than adjust every meter during DST.

There doesn't appear to be any way to display the off peak usage, and no
info on the RS232 or optical protocol to allow you to interrogate it to
get the usage profile.

"Please note that previous electronic meters were programmed to display
Time of Use tariff registers. The P1 meter will not display this
information. Time of Use tariffs will be calculated from the load
profile data that the MDA will download from the P1 meter."

Re: Smart meters aint so smart..

Oh Magoo you've done it again. Been a while since I've heard that, so I
thought I would throw it in.

Re: Smart meters aint so smart..

knuk.. knuk.. knuk

rgds,

Pete
=====

Re: Smart meters aint so smart..
It could simply be an issue to do with the type of meter, or more probably,
whoever failed to program it correctly.

While I am on on Smartpower myself, because I have PV/grid inverter system, my
meter is a bi-directional electronic smart meter, and it displays ALL possible
tariffs in its display cycle. By that I mean;

1-----Display Test (all segments on)
2-----Time
3-----Date
4-----Total kWh imported
5-----kWh imported - Peak
6-----kWh imported - Off-peak
7-----kWh imported - Weekday shoulder
8-----kWh impotrted - Weekend shoulder
9-----Total kWh exported
10----kWh imported - Peak
11----kWh imported - Off-peak
12----kWh imported - Weekday shoulder
13----kWh imported - Weekend shoulder

I am only interested in 4 and 9 but the others are displayed even though I am
not on a Smartpower tariff. I have never seen the time display incorrect and I
read the meter every morning when I am picking up my paper from the front lawn.

The meter is a Landis & Gyr EM3300
http://www.landisgyr.com/ap/en/pub/products.cfm?eventProducts=products.ProductDetails&ID13%5&catID61 %

:
:Although I'm on a dual tariff, my new 'Smart' meter does not display the
:off peak usage, as my previous 'dumb' meter did. We need to rely on the
:accuracy of the data provided to our electricity retailer by the service
:provider.
:
:See this post (not mine)..
:http://forums.energymatters.com.au/solar-wind-gear/topic1790.html
:
:Not really good enough, is it.

Re: Smart meters aint so smart..

So your meter adjusts for daylight saving time then? I believe most
meters don't, which means that during summer time the OP cycle is
actually midnight to 8:00 am by the clock. My previous meter didn't and
neither does the new 'not-so-smart' one. I'd be interested to hear from
others about this.

http://www.landisgyr.com/ap/en/pub/products.cfm?eventProducts=products.ProductDetails&ID13%5&catID61 %

MIne is the PRI i-credit 500.

rgds,