Smallest scientific calculator available?

Ok, I'm getting a bit miffed at not having my scientific calc on me
when I need it, so anyone know what the smallest *scientific*
calculator currently available is? Something I can *really* throw in
the pocket or lab coat etc.

I used to have a Casio CFX-400 watch which was the ultimate (and as far
as I am aware, the only scientific calc watch ever made?), but it died
many years ago and they are now ridiculously collectable, and hence
expensive.

Something credit card sized would be nice, like those credit card solar
4 function jobs, but I want something with at least half decent
scientific functions.

No doubt a few will praise the HP 10C series, but at 130x80x15mm and
113g they aren't really "pocket size" IMHO, and of course are stupidly
expensive. The Casio FX-82 solar in comparison is only 125x66x8mm and
47g, pretty good, but I'm looking for something smaller if possible.

This one is pretty nifty at 90x59x10mm:
http://www.takshun.com.hk/productdesc.asp?code72%6
But I have no idea where to get it from.

Any more ideas or pointers?

Thanks
Dave :)

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

K&E Log Log Duplex Decitrig.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster                          voice phone: (928)428-4073
Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

At 317x41mm it's not even in the running, sorry Don.

Dave :)

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

But battery life is a plus.
You can also get a self-oiler for them.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster                          voice phone: (928)428-4073
Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

I think some of the better calculators have a self-Euler ; )

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

The FX-82 solar doesn't have a battery life problem.

Dave :)

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

My Picket N600-ES Log Log Speed Rule served me well thru college. It's
only 153x30 mm, 34 g without the carry case. Works well in moderate
light.

---
Mark

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

There are scientific calculator programs available for some PDA's, and the
smallest of these are possibly in the sort of scale to be considered. Some
small models are available with 'limited' scientific abilities. Canon, do
a model in a cheque book case, which saves on wasted space. The smallest
solution that is probably likely to be really convenient though, is that
there are scientific calculator programs that can run on many mobile
phones now. Some of the 'flip' designs here, are tiny. 'Calculator
Mobile', runs on the SmartPhone units, and I'm sure others are available.

Best Wishes

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

Sure, but considering that I don't carry (and don't wish to carry) my
PDA or phone (and I hate new model phones anyway) with me while I'm
working, it's not an option. And the interface (pen based or mobile
phone keypad based) is awful.

A small scientific calc with real buttons and no battery life issues
that can be thrown in the lab coat on a permanent basis is what is
needed.

Thanks
Dave :)

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

And does not wash out in bright sunlight.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster                          voice phone: (928)428-4073
Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

I've done away with just calculators since I got my first PDA years ago.
 They all have excellent scientific calculators available for free
download, and, of course, they can do many, many other things, too.

My present system is a Palm Zire 31 with the SC-103PU scientific
calculator and the VisualCalc and MemoCalc programmable calculators.  It
really does fit into any of my shirt pockets, unlike some of the fancier
ones I had before.

And, yes, I still have my K&E slide rule from the early 60's.  My dad
gave it to me when I went away to college -- he got a huge discount
because the shipyard he worked at bought them by the cratefull for their
engineers.

John Perry

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

I still have my Otis King 66" cylindrical!

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

Yeah, I've got a PDA too, and yes it can do many many other things. But
I want just a calculator, not something that does a zillion other
things to chew the battery life in a week. And call me old fashioned,
but I like a calculator with real buttons you can press.

Dave :)

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

Okay, you're old fashioned.  :)

I still have my HP15C. Works for me though if there was something smaller
with its capabilities I'd go for it.

Robert

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

Hi David,

I charge my phone regulary so I always have power available instead of
battery driven calculators that dyes even when I need it really :-)

I can't see your fingers, I can touch the fields with mine :-) But most
times i have a penscil in my hands when I need my calculator their bach is
quite useable to write all signs that I need.

Marte

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

I have never had a calculator die on me in 20 years. Then again I only
buy sensible ones that are that are dual solar/battery powered.
There is little reason to have a calculator that is battery only.

Dave :)

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

I have one of those - not working. I also have a Sinclair Scientific AND a
Sinclair Programmable.

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

I paid (I think) $20 for my CFX-400 back in the 80's. The part of the
case that supported the band broke off after about 10 years, so it was
no good as a watch, but it was still functional. I sold it for
something like $300 many years back to some guy in the US, even before
the days of crazy eBay prices. He had a good case and wanted the
working electronics.

Even not working, yours might be worth something...

Dave :)

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

Someone just paid >US$100 for just a CFX-400 case:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NOS-CASIO-SCIENTIFIC-CFX-400-CALCULATOR-LCD-WATCH-PARTS_W0QQitemZ250058869003QQihZ015QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Dave :)

Re: Smallest scientific calculator available?

I picked up  few 'made in china' tiny sci-calcs like that for $4.00 at
Big Lot.

They carry all kinds of close-out stuff there. Do you have one in your
area?
http://www.biglots.com /

Another good close-out store in the norteast US is 'Ocean State Job
Lot' they have them too.

http://www.oceanstatejoblot.com /

Site Timeline