Slightly OT 100% CPU loading

I suspect this is slightly OT for this newsgroup and any advice as to where
else to go (no, not there!) would be appreciated.

I experience hangups on *some* websites *only*, and investigations show
that the CPU is loaded 100%.

This happens on the RTA webcam site (the new one just developed -- the old
one was OK) on Google Earth (which used to work OK) and one or two others.

This seems to be a worldwide problem and to my knowledge no-one has actually
found the cause. Theories include malware, poor web design, deliberate
degrading of XP by Micro$oft updates, etc.

Has anyone any ideas that have worked, or where I could go to discuss this.

Re: Slightly OT 100% CPU loading

My favourite. Never assume malice when stupidity will explain it.

Re: Slightly OT 100% CPU loading

It's probably not a single problem.

Using Flashblock can help sometimes (as well as preserving your
bandwidth), because some flash programs are poorly implemented. However
the RTA web cam page doesn't appear to use Flash anyway.

Sylvia.

Re: Slightly OT 100% CPU loading

I have been experiencing different problems with the new RTA site. The 'Live
Traffic' feature seems to be all over the place. It will not stay in the one
area long enough to recover the info, amongst a few other probs..........

Metro

Re: Slightly OT 100% CPU loading

The zoom function bevahiour is strange - I've reported it as a fault.

Otherwise it seems to work OK for me. Perhaps you're being too impatient
with it, and queing up mouse events which it then responds to in a way
you don't want.

Sylvia.

Re: Slightly OT 100% CPU loading

Sylvia. Is RTA site loading quickly for you and are you using XP?  If so,
seems to narrow it down to my computer.

Re: Slightly OT 100% CPU loading
I am using XP, and it seems to load reasonably fast.

The website is only 4 hops, and 14 ms, away from me (Optus cable) so if
they've done something crude that is sensitive to propagation delay,
that could make a difference.

Sylvia.

Re: Slightly OT 100% CPU loading

(slow problem 100% loading on RTA webcam site and others)

SNIP

Hi Sylvia. Have narrowed it down I think. The problem is with the opening
map by MapData Sciences (which was not there on the old site). Once through
that the site is fine. I'm ADSL1. Anyone else on ADSL getting this?

Re: Slightly OT 100% CPU loading
Using an Asus EEEPC 1.6 GHz cpu, 2 gig memory on an ADSL1 link 500Km
from Sydney (and a wireless link to the router), the RTA website opens
instantly, and, using the traffic cameras, the CPU load goes to 55-60%
initially then drops to about 30%. This is using Firefox with 8 tabs open.

Site Timeline