Skype is down.

For the thousands of users of skype that are on this list, Skype is
down, read:
http://tinyurl.com/3968m6

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Skype is down.

"Don McKenzie"

** Get no tears from me .......

Skype  =  Scam + Hype

........  Phil

Re: Skype is down.

Have you actually used it?
Tom

Re: Skype is down.

"Tom"

**  Fools have tried to use it on me.

Only a fool would tolerate its massive shortcomings, to save a few dollars,
or inflict them on others.

It is an extraordinarily evil misuse of technology.

.......   Phil

Re: Skype is down.

:-)

I have to agree, I persisted for about 2 months, as one of the very
early customers, then gave it away.

It's not the sort of service that you can present as a professional
front, if you are running a business, and I wouldn't put my daughter in
Darwin through the pain privately either.

I call it a 90% service 90% of the time, but that is an over rating I feel.

I do however use the Skype chat service, as I hate windows messenger.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Skype is down.

    I used it for a while until one night it routed >450MB of traffic
through my modem and PC in about 2 hours without my knowledge and wasted
a large chunk of my monthly download allowance.
    I did a bit of checking and found that this is normal. Apparently it
will do that even if you haven't officially started the Skype program
running. I should have  paid more attention to the fine print in the
Skype EULA. I uninstalled it straight away.
    I've got Google Talk installed and it works well without doing
things like that, but I almost never use it. All these messenger kinds
of programs are an open invitation for people to annoy you when you're
most busy.
    My 2c worth.

Bob

Re: Skype is down.

Sounds like you became a supernode. You can get around this quite easily,
first you need to be behind a NAT router (as everybody should be) and second
I believe you need to change the incoming ports. Skype usually uses port
443, I can't find the reference, but I seem to remember that changing this
prevents you from becoming a supernode.

Keith

Re: Skype is down.

"keithr"

**  Sounds like YOU   became a supernerd.

Or is that really super-turd   ???????????

 If  the cap fits  ......

........  Phil

Re: Skype is down.

sounds like YOU became a repetitious boring old turd

If the crap fits  ..........

Re: Skype is down.

  Phil will use it?

prove it.
Re: Skype is down.

    That seems to be what happened. If I remember correctly, after the
event and after I uninstalled it, I saw some reference on the net to a
Skype setup option to stop it from doing that. That could be the same
thing you're referring to.
    I was happy to be rid of it because people were interrupting me all
the time ... same as with ICQ.

Bob

Re: Skype is down.

"Bob Parker"

** Better make it  "5c worth" from now on  -  Bob.

 The old 2 cent coins are not legal currency and so worthless.

 Unlike your comments.

......   Phil

Re: Skype is down.

says...
Nup, 2c is still legal tender:

http://www.rba.gov.au/CurrencyNotes/LegalFrameWork/legal_tender.html

Ray

Re: Skype is down.

"Ray"

**  Beg to differ:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1965120/s16.html

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1965120/s17.html

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1965120/s23.html

1 cent  &  2 cent coins were  "called in"  very long ago.

They are not  " legal tender "  in pursuance of a payment of any debt.

......   Phil

Re: Skype is down.

says...
Sheesh,

even in your own reference:

b)
in the case of coins of the denomination of One cent or Two cents or
coins of both of those denominations—for payment of an amount not
exceeding 20 cents but for no greater amount;

And the Reserve Bank:
not exceeding 20c if 1c and/or 2c coins are offered (however, it should
be noted that these coins have been withdrawn from circulation but are
still legal tender);

Admittedly useless for any purpose these days, but the words are pretty
clear on both web sites.

Were they actually "called in" or "removed from circulation" ?
the Reserve Bank still recognises them as legal tender, and says they
were simply removed from circulation.

The scrap value of the copper these days is probably higher anyway!

Ray

Re: Skype is down.

"Ray"

 **  Yawn  -   no case to answer.

**  See section 17  ??????????

  It over-rides the others I listed purely for reference.

** The meaning is the same.

Because no person is obliged to accept any of them as payment -  they are
not legal tender under the Currency Act of 1965.

End of story.

.......   Phil

Re: Skype is down.

They'd probably be worth a good deal more if they were not legal tender,
because I guess that would then make it legal to melt them down for the
copper.

Chris

Re: Skype is down.

Thanks! I neglected the effects of inflation. :-)

Bob

Re: Skype is down.

Not quite.  From the Royal Australian Mint web site:

10. Are 1c & 2c coins still legal tender?

Yes, 1c and 2c pieces are still Australian legal tender, but they are
not considered as ‘currency’ (or, money that is officially released for
circulation). This means that you can take your old 1c and 2c coins to
the bank and exchange them for currency totalling the same face value.

Peter

Re: Skype is down.

"Pete"

**  See my other posts.

 Legal tender has a specific meaning under the Comomwealth Currency Act of
1965.

 1 and 2 cent coins are not  " legal tender "  in pursuance of a payment of
any debt.

Site Timeline