sinewave power

if i have a squarewave gen set and i need sinewave for 240v, how do i convert from square to sine?

i have a active line filter it has a isolated transformer with 2 more windings with some large caps. its sinewave

will it putt out sinewave from a square wave gen set or do i need a sinewave genset.

thanks ppl

Reply to
crazy frog

Excuse my ignorance but doesn't the generator in the "gen set" put out a sinewave anyway?

Reply to
chinsta00

its an old genset 25 years old brushes slipring type dunlite, today ive seen some for sale new with earth magnet's makeing them sinewave. with no regalators or brushes in them, makes them good for electronics and computers. these gens are sold at rusco tools and paints my old gen uses a triac type regualator. it destroid a audomation switch, or it maybe the spikes from the brushes that di it.

Reply to
crazy frog

That old Dunlite is probably putting out an "Imperial" sine wave which is not compatible with your "Metric" sine wave equipment.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

your line fillter will probably help I can't say if i'll be enough

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

is there a way to convert square to sine with a hand full of components for 240ac? if so where can i find a circuit.

thanks ppl

Reply to
crazy frog

"crazy frog" <

** NO !

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not a handful of components, but a couple A5 sized PCBs.

You could full wave rectify your output and feed the resulting high voltage DC into the sinewave converter section of Silicon Chip's old sinewave inverter in Dec '92 issue.

Suspect it'll be cheaper to buy a new generator though.

crazy frog wrote:

Reply to
chinsta00

yeh i think so to.

Reply to
crazy frog

Hi Crazy, I'm curious about this gen set you have is it outputting 240 volts AC with a square wave output?. I've never heard of such a set before and wonder if it might do that when the output is lightly loaded and then go to a sine under some kind of load say a few hundred VA or so.

How do you know it's square wave in the first place?.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Maybe he has inverter?

Reply to
Who are WE?

Reply to
crazy frog

Nice one !

--
Regards
Mike

Usually the regulation changes the field current and the output is a clean sinewave: slip rings shouldn't cause massive amounts of noise in an alternator: what's it look like under load with a CRO?.

Reply to
Mark Harriss