Silicon Chip TENS project. - Page 2

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

    I haven't got that far yet. The kit had a pair of pads with it,
which have short lengths of wire which terminate in small inline
sockets. DSE supply a length of thin figure-8 cable which you solder the
supplied small 'banana' plugs onto. They plug into the sockets for very
easy replacement.
    DSE flog those pads as spare parts, but with luck I might find a
local chemist who's got them too.

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

Hi Terry,
    I've tried several different possibilities for your real e-mail
address, and they all bounce.
    Is it your first name, last name, full name with an underscore
between them or something else in the part before the "@"?

Bob

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

firstname snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org

Cheers
Terry

PS I think I'll get my dad to send me a TENS kit too, I've been meaning
to make one for a while now, and it doesnt get easier or cheaper than this!

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

    I tried that before but it bounced. I've just tried again. Mozilla
Thunderbird underlines all links so I couldn't see the underscore, which
didn't help.

    You'll really 'enjoy' the construction. I replaced the 2 x 0.47uF
63V MKT filter caps with a 1uF 160V electrolytic on its side, and the
last 0.47uF 63V with a 0.47uF 100V MKT on its side.
    I hope your father can find a kit. I got the last one in my local
DSE store.

Bob

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

I've had the exact same problem, with other peoples email addy's!

Fingers crossed.

I have to buy another zapping bug swatter. My one was a bit feeble (but
only $8) - zapped flies would re-awake after 10-20 minutes, and fly off,
  so I:

- replaced quadrupler diodes with BYV56's
- used 330nF 1kV film cap rather than 47nF 1.6kV
- added speedup cap to base drive resistor

and got the output voltage up from 1700V to 2500V, so 15x more energy.
BANG, the flies dont recover from that.

Then last week the handle snapped in half as I tried a daring backhand
in-the-air swat. Bjorn Borg, eat your heart out!

Cheers
Terry

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

    Unfortunately DSE's bean counters seem to have just woken up to the
fact that selling kits below the cost of producing them doesn't make
economic sense.
    The price of the K3705 TENS kit as shown on the DSE website has just
jumped back up to $49.98. :(

Bob

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

Not only that but I was in Tocumwal and their store is even more expensive.
Not only this but their management dont realise that we dont only go to
buy a kit but other stuff as well, and free advertising on this media
source will give the negative press. Er NEGATIVE PRESS. DID THEY hear
that? I wonder. But JAYCAR IS OK DS stands for D*P SH*&TS.
Why are they so damn idiotic. Dick Smith worked in the past because of
the select market, not the hyper super market stuff they're now selling.
Thats a completely other market requiring a different sales technique.
PS DS
Why wont you hire smarter older electronics buffs. Instead of the
electronic misfits you find in your stores these days? I can run circles
around them.

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

They hire anybody that will work for the crap wages they offer!
Why do you think Jaycar has been advertising for staff for YEARS, when there
is no shortage of real technicians looking for work?

MrT.

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

Thats what I mean. Electronically intelligent people.
It may even rub of and increase sales etc...

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

circles
there

But would require them to pay more than minimum wage, which they are
obviously not prepared to do, or they would have done it already.

MrT.

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

Well yes but they have got their head in the sand.

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

Unfortunately that may not be the case. These shops are becoming more self
serve. An automated self serve check-out may be next :-)

They probably have a better idea of how to make *money* than all the old
shops with knowledgeable staff, that have since gone out of business.
Shame, but that's the way it works I'm afraid.

Personally I have never understood the Harvey Norman business model, But
Gerry Harvey's wealth speaks for itself.
How many electronics engineers wish they could spend their time flying a
helicopter like Dick Smith. Just what HAS he done in the last 20 years?
(stuffing up aviation safety excepted of course, and repackaging
biscuits/peanut butter :-)

Welcome to the world of modern marketing.

MrT.

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

In the UK, the Lloyds Chemist chain is selling a Solpadeine branded TENS for
9.99p - but replacement gel pads are about 5.

Re: Silicon Chip TENS project.

   Oh dear - I haven't priced the replacement pads yet. They're probably
a similar price in the Antipodes. :-( Thanks for the info.

Bob

Site Timeline