Silicon Chip magazine - Page 3

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

   Now Bob, you know those bad comments from the US were trolls.  Those
sneaky Canadians, on the other hand? ;-)

   You know I bought and built the kit, and that I have advised a lot of
others to buy it, as well.  The only thing I didn't like was the 9 Volt
battery, so I added a jack for an AC adapter.  I use it only on one
bench, with switched outlets that are turned off when I leave the shop.
This way, I never have to worry about a dead battery.  I can still
install a battery, if needed, but so far, I haven't needed to go that
route.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Howdy Michael,
    I need to clarify what I meant. Nearly all the Americans and
Canadians I've dealt with have been very friendly and easy to deal with
(including you of course!), even when there have been problems with the
kits they built. I've been happy to put their hints and suggestions
about the ESR meter on my website.
    Conversely there have been just a few aggressive ones who've made
those kinds of accusations by e-mail, though there was a Canadian who
made them on the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup, a long time ago.
    Like you said, there are trolls everywhere. :-(

Rgds
Bob

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

   Its too bad that its so hard to get a hunting permit for trolls. :(

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Hi Bob
Yes, I forgot about that nice "side benefit" :-/
Great if you are a "people person"
In one case I had to even answer hardware questions on a kit I didn't
design!

I had one guy send back one of my kits (unsolicited) and demanded that
I fix it "under warranty". He had the 78L05 regulator in backwards.

Like I said, it's certainly a labour of love...

Dave :)

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

But at least it keeps you off the streets at night Bob

David (grinning)

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Yes he certainly is talented. Much like the engineers that used to produce
projects for EA and ETI (and a few for AEM) back when there was something
other than SC on the newsagent shelf to compare against.

Yes that's a good point. Before any non-casual authorship is taken up
investigation of how to ensure the the author retains sole ownership of all
intellectual property should be mandatory.

He he well the competition he knocked out is the place where he used to
work! 8-)

Craig.
--
SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
Location: Sydney, Australia - Phone: 02-9520-2547 - Fax: bit the dust

It seems that the lack of competition from another publication is affecting
the way that people who have a say in the direction of Australia's only
remaining locally-produced electroncs magazine perceive the electronics
marketplace. The fact that Leo purchased the rights to Electronics Australia
(and therefore ETI), means that all the previous publications now belong to
one group, perhaps even to one person.

That's probably over 100 years of electronics publications if you take into
account EA in it's various forms, ETI, AEM and Silicon Chip and sum it all
together.

The only other electronics publications are foreign (to Australia), such as
Elektor, etc. Not that those publications are not excellent in quality -
they are!

I haven't bumped into Jim Rowe for a number of years, but I wonder how Jim
feels about the way the electronics industry's primary general-audience
publication in Australia is having free-reign over publishing and
distributing projects, etc.

Had Federal Publishing not decided to downgrade EA to a trash-heap glossly
techno-rag in order to deliberately make it fail, we might still have EA
going as a seperate magazine and that would, to some degree, be keeping SC's
'charter' operating in a somewhat more transparently ethical fashion.

Regards,

Craig.
--
SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
Location: Sydney, Australia - Phone: 02-9520-2547 - Fax: bit the dust
Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Well, he (happily?) works for SC now...

I greatly doubt that the current market could sustain two electronics
publications, it was inevitable that we'd be left with one I think.

I don't know SC's current circlation, but it would be interesing to
know if it has increased since the demise of EA, held steady, or
declined.

Dave :)

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Hi Julian.

I'd like to at least say that although I'm not all that much into car
modifications, u-beaut Luxeon lighting etc, found your articles very
interesting.

I have noticed a recent decline in the content of SC. In principle I
should give up buying the magazine because of the lack of any real new
ideas, but have to admit that there is nothing else out there, and I
also believe in supporting an Aussie product.

Unfortunately I also think that the production of SC is a 'family
based' affair and assume that it's not a big 'money generator' that I
had imagined - I may be wrong here, and maybe it is indeed a great
business but with not much 'renumeration' to the article writers.

It would be great to see the magazine improve, but unless there is a
major change in thinking, and financing, don't see much happening at
all.

To cut off the people who have supported you in the past is what I'm
trying to get my head around here. Fair enough, it may not be a big
business, but most of us try to help the people who have helped us.

I must say that I find Leo's "rantings" informative, and cannot
disagree with anything he has said in the editorial. To put it this
way, I'd imagine that if he'd consulted the 'politically correct'
groups and managed to get a somewhat intelligent reply, the editorial
would contain pretty much SFA.

Anyway, I think another fine electronics magazine will be headed down
the gurgler unless some changes are made. I mean changes, not talking
about it, nor putting things off, just paying a reasonable amount for
smart people and ideas...

Cheers, (at least we can get pissed and lament), Phil.

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Just to make one thing clear: Leo Simpson did not 'cut me off'. In
fact, subsequent to my resignation, he made available an opportunity
for me to reconsider. But as no changes had occurred to my original
reasons for resignation, I saw no reason to change my decision.

Julian Edgar

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Hi again Julian,

Well, sorry I got that bit wrong about being 'cut off' and ASSuMEd way
too much (ASS == ME).

I'm sure that both Leo and yourself have developed a great relationship
and support both ways over the years, and although workmates may have
major disagreements at times, can have a bit of a yell at each other
and get over it (even though the business 'force fields' are up on both
sides).

I for one appreciate your candour, and in no way suggest that anything
you've posted here could be considered over-the-top. In fact it gives a
rare insight into the problems faced by people who do their best
putting in way too many hours of their own personal time and yet still
have to endure strange business decisions.
Also, (as I've seen in other postings) to add to your headaches, there
are likely way too many 'fools armed with solding irons' who think they
deserve infinite technical support - for free.

Anyway, I think It's great work you've done mate, and hope to see some
more articles again from you (somewhere) soon.

Cheers, Phil.