Silicon Chip magazine

After 14 years of continuously contributing articles to Silicon Chip
magazine, I have resigned from any association with Leo Simpson or
Silicon Chip Publications.

This resignation is based on financial, journalistic and ethical
reasons.

My articles will probably continue to appear in Silicon Chip for a few
more issues as old material is used up but I will not be doing any
further writing for that publication.

I thank those readers who have enjoyed my work.

Julian Edgar

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Sorry to hear that Julian.
I for one enjoyed many of your articles.
Good luck for the future.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

**Colour me disappointed. Your work has been immensely educational (for me).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Thanks for letting us know Julian, sorry to hear your association has
ended.
You have made an excellent contribution over the years, and I'm sure
many readers that don't lurk here would like to express their thanks as
well.
Thanks, and best of luck for your future endevours.

Regards
Dave :)

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Sorry to hear it.
Best wishes.

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Sorry to hear that Julian, I always read your articles and projects
with interest. Will we still have access to your articles via Everyday
Practical Electronics, or were reprints of SC articles in that mag out
of your control?

Ross H

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

My articles were reprinted in Everyday Practical Electronics, were
they? First thing I have heard of that...

When they republished or re-sold material, magazine publishers I have
previously worked for notified contributors of the extra sales and paid
a fee (normally half of the original) for the re-use.

But not Leo...

Julian Edgar

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

I've had some of my EA articles "republished" in other publications.
One was in a Hong Kong magazine but I got no payment for it, nor told
about it, but at least they kept my name on the article :-/
Someone emailed me and told me of another one too, but I don't have a
copy of it nor remember the mag.
Another one was in (I think) Test Gear Vol.3, again I wasn't told about
that one either, but a cheque did duly arrive in the mail, maybe
because it was an actual EA publication?

Dave :)

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

"Julian Edgar"

**  Normally, articles contributed to  SC,  EA or ETI  are  (or were ) on
the basis of the author granting an implied  " copyright license " to the
magazine. Authors still hold their original copyright ownership.

This meant the magazine could publish the material in their usual way  -  ie
initially in the magazine itself and possibly again later in another
publication produced by the same magazine like a compilation book of
projects.

However, since the magazine does not hold copyright ownership, they cannot
supply the material to another publisher.

Other magazines may operate in a different way, where the author signs an
agreement that assigns copyright ownership to the magazine. This allows the
magazine to trade in the material as they wish.

One thing a publisher must not do is to omit the author's name or attribute
the material to another.

True story:

On one occasion, I contributed an item for the  "Circuit & Design Ideas "
pages of EA magazine and received their standard acknowledgement letter and
that it would be considered for such use in due course.

The item then appeared in the magazine's " Information Centre " pages ( run
by Peter Phillips) about two months later.

Now, authors of items in the CDI pages were paid a fee and could even win a
nice prize  -   but no fee applied to material published the "Information
Centre" pages.

Took quite a bit of haggling by phone and letter to get Jim Rowe to agree
that accepting the item for the CDI pages meant he owed me a fee for
publishing it.

.......  Phil

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

I have signed no copyright dispensation allowing the resale of my work
to other magazines.

Julian Edgar

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

"Julian Edgar"

** Have you signed any kind of agreement  ?

    You speaking only about local or foreign magazines ?

.......  Phil

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Your Quick Brake is mentioned here: http://www.epemag.com/magindex.html

Many thanks for the great reading over the years and good luck in you other
activities.  Your 'salvage it' column made many think twice about the value
of common throwaway 'junk'*

Peter

(*) I'm typing this sitting on a chair and using a monitor both found on the
kerbside!

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

"Peter Parker"

**  That item is co-authored by a SC staff member  -   John Clarke.

    Very likely SC consider copyright belongs to them.

.........  Phil

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Wow, I lost count at around 2 dozen SC projects in the last 10 months
or so!
All the familiar names are there, Leo Simpson, Jim Rowe, Peter Smith,
John Clark...

Julian's (sole attributed) "Human-powered LED Torches" is there.

Dave :)

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Yep, they are - eg. Quick Brake in EPE Nov 2006 and Human Powered LED
Torches in Sept 2006 just to name a couple - along with articles by
John Clarke and Peter Smith.

http://www.epemag.com/magindex.html

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Buying Silicon Chip mag certainly won't seem such a bargain without your
"Salvage It" column.
Always enjoyed your contributions, they got me hacking more rather than just
building from scratch.

Regards,
John.

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Care to eloborate on the 'ethical' thing ?

geoff

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

"Julian Edgar"

** You are very naive about the law of defamation,  Julian.

The general tone and implications of your posts may dissuade others from
contributing articles to SC or having dealings with Leo etc.

You are practically forcing  SC  to take action against you to silence you.

.......   Phil

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Leo Simpson remains a man of tremendous capability in many areas. I
seriously encourage others to write freelance material for Silicon Chip
- especially when contributing just an occasional article here and
there, I found the relationship to be very fruitful. If you do the
articles as a hobby, it can pay quite well too.

In the main, Silicon Chip magazine is extremely good - I think in the
presence of John Clarke they have an electronics engineer who performs
brilliantly in the niche of designing for a hobbyist electronics
magazine.

But I think that anyone who writes for the magazine long-term and in
bulk should insist on being appointed to a staff position, if only so
that ideas like ownership of intellectual property and suchlike are
clearly resolved.

Leo Simpson is the driving force behind the magazine, in addition to
being (with his wife) the owner. He has achieved a great deal in
starting the magazine from scratch and knocking out the competition.
However, in a way he is a victim of his own success - a very big fish
in a very small pond.

I am glad to be out of that pond.

Julian Edgar

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

"Julian Edgar"

** There is no response here to my warning -  likely because there is no
comprehension of it.

    Julian continues to dig his hole deeper.

......  Phil

Site Timeline