Silicon Chip Digital Slave Flash Trigger - sound modification

Has anyone modified this unit for sound triggering?

There are many photos on Flickr using a sound triggered module that is US$99
and I am wondering if the circuit in Silicon Chip or more recently
republished in a UK electronics magazine would be able to be modified simply
to be triggered on sound.

This would result in being able to capture bulbs smashing, baloons popping,
etc.

Re: Silicon Chip Digital Slave Flash Trigger - sound modification

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:20:09 +1000, "Desmond Wong"

   It wouldn't be very hard to design something. Someone should do a
sound-triggered flash as a magazine project.... ;)

Bob

Re: Silicon Chip Digital Slave Flash Trigger - sound modification

Electronics Australia designed a sound operated flash trigger around 1980 or so
- I built one and it worked well.  Certainly didn't cost anything like $99
though to build.

Might be worthwhile seeing if anyone has a copy of the Mag or try SC to see if
they can provide a reprint.

David

Re: Silicon Chip Digital Slave Flash Trigger - sound modification

I have looked around at the state library and can't find it.

I have sent a request to Silicon Chip to see if they would consider making a
kit or re-printing the article and spark enthusiasm again in the field of
high-speed flash photography and I guess I will wait for a reply.

message

Re: Silicon Chip Digital Slave Flash Trigger - sound modification

Have you had a look at this site Desmond?  Describes a cheap and simple sound
triggerered flash unit

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-cheap-sync.html

I found it just by entering 'sound operated flash' into google, but there may
be lots more circuits out there

BTW where do you live?  I might still have the one I made - if so you are
welcome to it for the price of postage.

David