Silicon Chip are Hiring...

Page 63 of the new Dec SC has an ad for a new Project Designer/Writer.

I'd be quite surprised if they are "expanding", so it might be worth
wondering - who's leaving?

Peter Smith recently left, and was replaced by Mauro Grassi.
Before that of course was the rather public departure of Julian Edgar.

I can only presume the sentence "For the right person, this position
could lead to a future management role" means that Leo himself might
be looking to groom someone to take over in the not too distant
future?

Dave.

Re: Silicon Chip are Hiring...

As far as taking over is concerned, I'd be wondering where the circulation
figures are heading - I wouldn't think they're going up?

Re: Silicon Chip are Hiring...

One wouldn't think so, but they don't seem to be going down either, if
the recent hiring of Mauro is anything to go by.
When people leave it's often a good reason to slim down an
organisation by not replacing them.

Dave.

Re: Silicon Chip are Hiring...

"David Lunatic Jones"   =

Dishonourable Professor of Pure & Applied Bullshit

**  Errr  -   maybe the nearest rat   ???

**  Anyone for a morsel of cheese ????

** Groom ??????

That reads as if some flash dressed, gold toothed pimp is setting up a
female of dubious age and unfortunate background for something a great deal
WORSE  than she naively imagines.

Does DLJ  consider SC has long been " pimping " for its advertisers  ??

If so,  what does that make him ?

......   Phil

Re: Silicon Chip are Hiring...

obviously doesnt want to end up like John Howard and Co ?

Re: Silicon Chip are Hiring...

Julian was only a regular contributor, he wasn't on the staff and didn't work
in-house, as this position seems to be.

I wonder what the salary is ?

Re: Silicon Chip are Hiring...

What do mean Fritz, "...rather public departure..." ?

Re: Silicon Chip are Hiring...

I said that, not Fritz, note the nested quote marks.
Look through the group archives and you'll find several posts from
Julian about the subject.

Dave.

Re: Silicon Chip are Hiring...

Correct, but his articles were a big regular part of the magazine, and
he was paid a yearly fee to produce X number of project/articles. As
opposed to other occasional contributors such as myself.

Dave.

Re: Silicon Chip are Hiring...

Dave,

I knew Julian was putting out a lot of projects for a normal contributor, but I
didn't know he was on a bulk rate. That would account for projects like the
bike headlight and toy mobile phone warning thing, which hardly belonged
in an electronics magazine. No complaints about most of the articles, especially
the car electronics and lighting series.(Not sure about the Furby and the
washing machine, but !)

Leo has reprinted stuff from ABB and other trade mags, which I think
is more padding than serious content. You can find most of it on the web.

BTW Is your ng email address valid and would you mind if I sent you an email,
there are a few things which I'd rather not post.
(My newsgroup address isn't valid.)

Fritz

Re: Silicon Chip are Hiring...

work
especially

See here for the original thread:
http://groups.google.com.au/group/aus.electronics/browse_frm/thread/c23dd73fd0a5eb9/c336bfd6b2ce7121?lnk=gst&q=julian+edgar#c336bfd6b2ce7121

Yes, my newsgroup email has always been valid (gmail actually does an
excellent job of keeping the spam away), email away.

Dave.

Site Timeline