Signal/Function generator kit

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can suggest/recommend a signal generator kit
that can be bought in Australia.

I looked around, and although I found a number of well-priced options on
US based sites, I couldn't find much from any Australian sites,
especially the bit kit sellers, unless I'm totally blind and missed them.

Just looking for a basic signal generator (sine, square, triangle) with
variable frequency output as a kit and which won't break the bank.
Interested in learning how they work and building it myself as I am a
student.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

Ahem, meant "big kit sellers"

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

"Ross Vumbaca"

** See this one?

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=K2544

You get a lot for just  $24.

The design ( aka Miniosc) is one of mine.

.....  Phil

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

     I got one of those (actually one of Phil's originals) and it's
great. Gets a lot of use and I recommend it.

Bob

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't originally see this one, bought the
kit a few days ago, great price, and looks good.

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

"Ross Vumbaca"
Phil Allison

** The oversized enclosure supplied by Altronics is  NOT like the pocket
sized one I specified in the original article in EA magazine in December
1996.

This is a similar box from Farnell.

http://au.farnell.com/1171601/enclosures-19-racking/product.us0?sku=boss-enclosures-bim-retex-551&_requestid24%8926

.....    Phil

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

      The performance is better than you'd expect for such a small cheap
kit. Hope you like it. :)

Cheers
Bob

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

I can't see why you'd bother these days. You can get better performance from
a cheap computer sound card (which you probably already have) and free (or
commercial) software. My laptop provides me with a great AF signal
generator, CRO, spectrum analyzer, distortion meter etc. I only use my
function generator for RF.

MrT.

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

"Mr.T"

 **  Colossal  IDIOTS  like Mr Turd cannot see a damn thing.

**  Errrrrr  - where do you get a laptop for $24 ???

   Will one in your pocket or tool case  ??

......  Phil

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

Indeed, I was using my PC's sound card originally, but I wanted
something separate for when my PC isn't available. Also it wasn't
expensive and I was interested in seeing how one might implement one of
these.

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

I've done two, but they are no longer available as a kit.
http://alternatezone.com/electronics/dds.htm
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_102145/article.html
(the last function gen published in SC?)
and
http://alternatezone.com/electronics/hsfg.htm

I'm not aware of any function gen kits still available in Oz.

Realistically, you won't learn much buy building a kit, apart from how
to solder and follow instructions. You are better off simply reading
the articles for how they work if you are interested in how sig gens
work. Buy a nice and capable fully-built one, and then experiment with
your own circuits.

Dave.

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

Come to think of it, it is still available from Kits'r'us:
http://www.kitsrus.com/kits2.html
K101

Actually, looks like Phil's pocket kit is still available:
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=K2544

Dave.

Re: Signal/Function generator kit

Thanks for the links, very interesting reading. I originally found the
SC article, but it was not completely available, without a subscription.
Didn't know I could get it from the source :).

Regards,

Ross..

Site Timeline