Side entry of cables into TV wallplates

I've just installed a couple of TV outlets on architraves in my house. All
the ones I could get from Bunnings appear to be designed for side entry of
the coax, there's a clamp that holds the screen on the side of a small PCB
that's secured to the plastic with a few bolted pillars. That's not a good
setup when the thing is to be backed up by a brick wall with a hole through
into the cavity, due to the stiffness of good quality TV coax nowadays. In
fact any sort of wall thicker than about 6mm is going to have the same
problem.

It does occur to me, what sort of wall structure are these actually designed
for, or is it just a case of dumb design?

Re: Side entry of cables into TV wallplates

If you use decent coax like rg6 quad you get to fit an n type hence more
in line with your requirements

Re: Side entry of cables into TV wallplates

 In an external cavity wall you want a drip loop, so the wire
approaches the socket from below. Remember: Gravity lasts longer than
silicone sealant.

 Tv coax can take a bend radius of about 50mm, without damage

 You don't have to mount the socket directly over the axis of the hole

So cut out a cavity behind the switchplate an drillthe hole at the
bottom and slope it down towards the outside.

Site Timeline