shorted turns

I need help in designing a D.C. solenoid former. I am aware of eddy
currents in an A.C. solenoid or transformer, & note that D.C.
solenoids can have a metal former wich is in effect a shorted turn,
(but as there is no alternating magnetic field there is no eddy
currents)  but I wish to pulse a solenoid at about 3 Hz. The solenoid
current will be about 2 amps. I could slit the former & provide an air
gap, but prefer not to. I have searched the net but can't find any
info re shorted turns with pulsed D.C. Any constructive comments
greatly appreciated.  Davey.

Site Timeline