Sharp PQ12RD21 or equivalent component

Hi all,

I'm looking for a few of these voltage regs in the 12 or possibly 9v if 12v
isn't availble. I don't do too many eletronics projects and the schematics
that i've been looking at are from the USA so i'm not sure how easy/hard
these are to find in australia. I'm not really sure where to start looking
for such a component in australia, i know the digi-key in usa is where the
americans get them from. Possibly one of you bright sparks might know of an
equivalent component with similar function that is easier to get in
australia, if so, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Re: Sharp PQ12RD21 or equivalent component

Farnell or RS components?

Rudolf

Re: Sharp PQ12RD21 or equivalent component

tried both sites and neither list sharp voltage regs.

cheers.

Re: Sharp PQ12RD21 or equivalent component

Still looking for these....

Re: Sharp PQ12RD21 or equivalent component

Found them at WES although under and old part number. Bloody things are over
8 bucks a pop for the 2A version, being a small time retail customer sucks
ass.

Re: Sharp PQ12RD21 or equivalent component

What's so special about the Sharp part that makes it difficult to use a $1
generic regulator replacement?

Re: Sharp PQ12RD21 or equivalent component

a few things..
1. its totally encased in epoxy so you can bolt it to anything as a heatink
2. its a low power loss regulator which is important for the application
3. most importantly it has an on/off function built in which makes it ideal
to be paired with a PWM for controlling the brightness of large LED arrays.

at least i have some test parts to start working on a prototype for my
project to know that everything will function before i go an buy all the
parts for a complete job. I'm sure that like most things the trade price of
the part is probably 1/2 of the retail price...

Cheers.