Sharp microwave display

I have a sharp microwave and some of the segments on the digital display
have gone. Is this an easy fix or does the whole board need replacing? I
believe its a common problem with certain model sharps?

Re: Sharp microwave display

I'd be cleaning all the connectors and contacts before going to the
expense of a new display. Having said that, there's a Sharp uWave in the
kitchen a few feet from me still with a dodgy display as you
describe....  :)

Ken

Re: Sharp microwave display

I have a Sharp Carousel here with the same problem.
As it is years old, I used it as an excuse to get the wife a new one, an
LG at a decent price.

Be interested to see what a replacement display costs.

Just donated the old one to a local club.
No display, but it cooks fine.

And who really needs yet another clock? :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: Sharp microwave display

If it has the LCD display with green numbers you're pretty much out of luck.
They use a flexible mylar cable bonded to the glass display, not repairable.  I
have had 'limited' success using some high density foam & making a clamp to
press the cable on, you could try that.  A replacement display (comes with CPU
board) will cost about AU$135 trade which pretty much writes it off.

snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au
what about controll pads

ive a sharp convection uWAVE a large amount of the control pad buttons
progressivly failed in the last few months.

easy fix or replaceble? spose if its the pad itself, would replace with
push switches but/...

Re: what about controll pads

Sharp are good for spares - see if you can get the real thing.

Ken

Re: what about controll pads

i remember a website that had model numbers, what stuffed up and what
parts to repalce with. I used it to find the part number needed to
replace the thermo sensor which only cost like $20 (chamber temp for
convection temp sense

Re: what about controll pads

Actually in Melbourne, GB Telespares and another crowd who's name eludes
me at present are very good for domestic appliance spares.

Cheers.

Ken

Re: Sharp microwave display

This is a very common problem.
Call SHARP and complain loudly. I beleive they are replacing displays even
after warranty.

Official method -- replace display. The problem is that flat cable going to
it is glued to display board and eventually makes bad contact. I did have
some limited success heating the connection place with hair dryer and
pressing it hard with wide flat-blade scredriver. Obvious safety precautins
apply of couse, such turn power off at AC before going in. And do not try to
use microwave without back cover. Unless you are not planning to have any
more kids in the future.

Rudolf

Re: Sharp microwave display

What he said.  Find a local SHARP service agent, they will do it under warranty.
You might need the original purchase receipt though.   Colin

Re: Sharp microwave display

you can also get parts from

wes components
www.wescomponents.com

thay are in sydeny, logon and see catalogue.