Sharp microwave display

I have a sharp microwave and some of the segments on the digital display have gone. Is this an easy fix or does the whole board need replacing? I believe its a common problem with certain model sharps?

Reply to
Aldo

I'd be cleaning all the connectors and contacts before going to the expense of a new display. Having said that, there's a Sharp uWave in the kitchen a few feet from me still with a dodgy display as you describe.... :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I have a Sharp Carousel here with the same problem. As it is years old, I used it as an excuse to get the wife a new one, an LG at a decent price.

Be interested to see what a replacement display costs.

Just donated the old one to a local club. No display, but it cooks fine.

And who really needs yet another clock? :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Micro,TTL,USB to 1.5" color LCD http://www.dontronics.com/micro-lcd.html
USB,RS232 or TTL to VGA Monitor http://www.dontronics.com/micro-vga.html
World's smallest USB 2 TTL Conv http://www.dontronics.com/micro-usb.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

If it has the LCD display with green numbers you're pretty much out of luck. They use a flexible mylar cable bonded to the glass display, not repairable. I have had 'limited' success using some high density foam & making a clamp to press the cable on, you could try that. A replacement display (comes with CPU board) will cost about AU$135 trade which pretty much writes it off.

stanblaz@netspace.net.au
Stan Blazejewski

ive a sharp convection uWAVE a large amount of the control pad buttons progressivly failed in the last few months.

easy fix or replaceble? spose if its the pad itself, would replace with push switches but/...

Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo

Sharp are good for spares - see if you can get the real thing.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

i remember a website that had model numbers, what stuffed up and what parts to repalce with. I used it to find the part number needed to replace the thermo sensor which only cost like $20 (chamber temp for convection temp sense

Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo

Actually in Melbourne, GB Telespares and another crowd who's name eludes me at present are very good for domestic appliance spares.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

This is a very common problem. Call SHARP and complain loudly. I beleive they are replacing displays even after warranty.

Official method -- replace display. The problem is that flat cable going to it is glued to display board and eventually makes bad contact. I did have some limited success heating the connection place with hair dryer and pressing it hard with wide flat-blade scredriver. Obvious safety precautins apply of couse, such turn power off at AC before going in. And do not try to use microwave without back cover. Unless you are not planning to have any more kids in the future.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

What he said. Find a local SHARP service agent, they will do it under warranty. You might need the original purchase receipt though. Colin

Reply to
CATronics

you can also get parts from

wes components

thay are in sydeny, logon and see catalogue.

Reply to
crazy frog