Serial to Parrael for 16x2 LCD

Does anyone know where i could get a serial to parallel convertor to
run 16x2 LCD from serial bit stream?

Thanks,
Kris

Re: Serial to Parrael for 16x2 LCD

http://www.seetron.com/slcds.htm

Alternately, you could do it yourself. You could run the lcd in 4 bit mode and
use a 74H595 serial to parallel converter, and just use the D4-D7, Enable
and Register Select pins. You will then have two extra outputs on the '595
to use for turning the backlight on/off, a relay, or something else.

Or if you want to use I2C, use a PCF8574, I2C to parallel converter.

Regards
David

Re: Serial to Parrael for 16x2 LCD

Have a look at http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/k221.html

Re: Serial to Parrael for 16x2 LCD

Quite a few free designs on the net.

look for serial lcd backpack

http://hyper.sunjapan.com.cn/~hz/PIC/usb-lcd /

Any preference for using a particular micro ?

Pretty easy with a pic , avr or any other micro with enough io.

jtag connections here
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller/lpc2104.html

a cheap commerical one
http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart22%0835&cat72%&