Sensor lights

I've got my sensor lights hooked up with 3 position switches. The
positions being off, on and auto. The problem is that when I switch from
auto to on it has to go through off. This causes the sensor light to
think that you've down the quick switch on-off-on so it goes into stay
on mode. Is there some way to disable this feature of the sensor?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Re: Sensor lights

Could you not wire the switch positions to on, off, and auto, ie centre off?
That way the break time between "on" and "auto" can be controlled and is not
a result of the switch contact break/make function. You did not indicate
what kind of switch is involved.

Chas.

Re: Sensor lights

 place the switch between the sensor circuitry and the lamp

      -----+---[ SENSOR ]------o

           `-------------------o

Re: Sensor lights

Could you not wire the switch positions to on, off, and auto, ie centre off?
That way the break time between "on" and "auto" can be controlled and is not
a result of the switch contact break/make function. You did not indicate
what kind of switch is involved.

Chas.

Re: Sensor lights

Thanks for the replies Chas and Jasen. That is how it's wired up. The
problem is I need to pause in the off position which is annoying and
others don't know to do it. Jasen's wiring diagram would solve the
problem but it would require running 1 extra wire. If I could disable
the stay on function that would solve the issue without me needing an
electrician.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Sensor lights

If you are skilled in electronics there is another way. (Not recommended
if you are not skilled!)
Open the sensor electronics and find out what control chip is in there.
Google the datasheet.
On this one for example
http://www.pti-ic.com/ptiweb/manage/doc_datasheet/PT0119%20%20%20%20%20PT8A2620-2.pdf
you would just have to connect pin 15 to high to disable the "forced on"
function (like bridge 15-16). Good luck

Tony

Re: Sensor lights

http://www.pti-ic.com/ptiweb/manage/doc_datasheet/PT0119%20%20%20%20%20PT8A2620-2.pdf

The one I have here just has a LM324N which is just 4 op amps. I guess
it's just a matter of finding a unit that has an actual chipset. It
could get interesting going into stores and asking what chipset their
sensor lights use :-) I've got some others, I'll see if if I can find
any that use a chip.

Michael

Re: Sensor lights

http://www.pti-ic.com/ptiweb/manage/doc_datasheet/PT0119%20%20%20%20%20PT8A2620-2.pdf

I see. You are right, could be interesting, especially at Bunnings:)
There would be the option to draw up the interconnections, work out how
it might work and remove a Cap or resistor that does the forced on. Can
be a bit hard though but maybe you like a challenge ?:)

Tony

Re: Sensor lights

I might do but I always struggle at that sort of thing. I've managed to
work out what some parts of a circuit do but I always get to bits where
I'm lost. The units I have attached to the house are different so I
might have a look to see if they use some sort of chipset. It's likely I
have several different units though. Thanks for the info.

Michael

Site Timeline