Sending DVDs overseas

Strangely most of the DVD's in question were burnt on a Pioneer burner (circa 2004) and read back on LG burners (made 2008-9). We had a box of new burners available at the time, and I connected 2 of them up to each of our 3 comps at work to get all the DVD's read as fast as possible and later shifted via the network onto a 1tb hard drive.

At this time, I found that the discs that wouldn't read, invariably would (took 10 minutes in some cases to do it but it worked) when tried on another of the LG units. There was no visible damage to the discs, they were mostly Verbatim brand.

It wasn't one particular LG drive that was "bad" either. Some discs seemed to "like" certain units more than others.

Cant do any other tests on the discs, they were smashed up and dumped being successfully read.

Reply to
kreed

Time for a TV card for the PC I think.

Then all these problems are gone.

Reply to
kreed

Using DVD Shrink takes the important finalize functions out of the hands of the user of the DVD recorder and puts it in the hands of a repeatable, reliable program writing on a highly compatible DVD drive.

The unsuitable region may just be a result of this incompatibility or a user error with the recorder. (and I assume the two of them have worked out the DVD-RAM, +R, -R issues)

Reply to
David Eather

The OPs recorder does the finalise automatically in the case of copying a single recording to disk, which sounds like what the OP is doing. I would expect it to work, or not work, consistently.

That's why I asked what sequence of steps the OP is using (he never replied). There is a more advance menu for writing multiple recordings to one disk where there is more scope for fogetting to do the finalise.

I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that the OP is using a stock of identical writeable DVDs for this purpose, so the RAM, +R, -R issue should show up on all, or none.

I suspect a media quality issue is behind this.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I had access to a panasoinc DVD recorder in a shared house (sorry don't know the model). Media quality may well have been an issue, but our problems were only solved after "re mastering" on a PC.

Reply to
David Eather

Your problem is nothing to do with region-coding. Most likely, you're using cheap & nasty DVDs. I recommend the gold TDKs.

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

snip>

The OPs recorder does the finalise automatically in the case of copying

I thought I did reply. :( I record the program (in which our team usually gets done) to the HDD of the DVD recorder. There aren't many options. I then write that file to the DVD. The file is long enough for the box to write the DVD at real-time speed. (not speeded up). The box finalises the DVD without intervention. One part of the problem is solved: One of the recipients who couldn't read the disks and then could read them, had used DVD-ulocker to converrt his DVD reader to multi-region. One other recipient has discovered he can play the disks in his desktop. We have used DVD-unlocker to convert our reader to multi-region, so we can read anything these guys send us in return.

Reply to
L.A.T.

The speed at which it is burnt will also affect the readability of the disc. Too slow a speed and you will get smearing from overexposure of the dyes.

Reply to
Swanny