Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota

Yeah, its half OT, but it's quiet here so I'll give it a go....

Does anyone know what Toyota typically use to switch the low fuel
warning lamp?

Is it just a contact on the fuel float level sensor?

The vehicle is a 2009 Hiace diesel, I thought of just removing the lamp
but its dual purposed (it flashes for water in the fuel filter).

Anyone played with these?

Thanks.

Re: Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota

Checked it out further..... it's more than a low fuel warning it's a
Toyota "feature", no explanation given in the manual other than take the
vehicle to toyota to have the lamp reset & codes read....

Re: Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota

So as with most systems now, the sensor ( probably just a contact in the
tank float system ) sends a signal to the car computer.  That takes the
signal, adds any other warning signals it wants, like the
water-in-filter signal, and drives the lamp appropriately.  Whether you
like what the computer thinks is appropriate is up to you.

Re: Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota

Thanks for the reply. It's an odd ball problem, it seems its not related
to either low fuel or fuel in water / filter blocked. The only info I've
been able to find is "take it to the dealer to be reset". A bit "open
ended"..

Re: Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota
Had this problem with a hilux at work
As I rember you need to  unplugging the connector on top of the fuel
filter, Turn on the ignishion but do not start,    Plug in the connector
and it should reset. It means the fuel filter needs changing and it can
do damage to the injectors if you don't change it soon

Re: Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota

Thanks Darren - you've provided the info I didn't / couldn't get from
Toyota.

I took it in as it was due for the 100k service. They told me that the
light indicated a fuel problem, probably filter clogged.

On pick up they told me they cleaned the filter (is a serviceable one) &
reset the indicator - all good.

Thanks for the info on the reset process.

This vehicle usually resides in the bush - employee has been driving
with the lamp on for the last 10,000km. The country dealership that
usually services it told them it was a faulty low fuel warning lamp &
not to worry about it.....

Re: Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota

Vehicles might be 'smart' now, but dealerships obviously have not
improved much since the 1950's

Re: Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota

You're not wrong! Trying to get a technical answer out of the
"concierge" service desk guys  is not easy either!

Re: Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota
In future you could try NGs, alt.autos.toyota or aus.cars for car
related stuff.

Re: Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota

I've tried them in the past without much luck.
I figured posting here might instill a little life into the corpse that
aus.electronics has become.

Site Timeline