Semi OT: Low fuel switch in toyota

Yeah, its half OT, but it's quiet here so I'll give it a go....

Does anyone know what Toyota typically use to switch the low fuel warning lamp?

Is it just a contact on the fuel float level sensor?

The vehicle is a 2009 Hiace diesel, I thought of just removing the lamp but its dual purposed (it flashes for water in the fuel filter).

Anyone played with these?

Thanks.

Reply to
Dennis

Checked it out further..... it's more than a low fuel warning it's a Toyota "feature", no explanation given in the manual other than take the vehicle to toyota to have the lamp reset & codes read....

Reply to
Dennis

So as with most systems now, the sensor ( probably just a contact in the tank float system ) sends a signal to the car computer. That takes the signal, adds any other warning signals it wants, like the water-in-filter signal, and drives the lamp appropriately. Whether you like what the computer thinks is appropriate is up to you.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Thanks for the reply. It's an odd ball problem, it seems its not related to either low fuel or fuel in water / filter blocked. The only info I've been able to find is "take it to the dealer to be reset". A bit "open ended"..

Reply to
Dennis

Had this problem with a hilux at work As I rember you need to unplugging the connector on top of the fuel filter, Turn on the ignishion but do not start, Plug in the connector and it should reset. It means the fuel filter needs changing and it can do damage to the injectors if you don't change it soon

Reply to
darren

Thanks Darren - you've provided the info I didn't / couldn't get from Toyota.

I took it in as it was due for the 100k service. They told me that the light indicated a fuel problem, probably filter clogged.

On pick up they told me they cleaned the filter (is a serviceable one) & reset the indicator - all good.

Thanks for the info on the reset process.

This vehicle usually resides in the bush - employee has been driving with the lamp on for the last 10,000km. The country dealership that usually services it told them it was a faulty low fuel warning lamp & not to worry about it.....

Reply to
Dennis

Vehicles might be 'smart' now, but dealerships obviously have not improved much since the 1950's

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

You're not wrong! Trying to get a technical answer out of the "concierge" service desk guys is not easy either!

Reply to
Dennis

In future you could try NGs, alt.autos.toyota or aus.cars for car related stuff.

Reply to
F Murtz

I've tried them in the past without much luck. I figured posting here might instill a little life into the corpse that aus.electronics has become.

Reply to
Dennis