Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof

Got a new TV antenna with a 1.5m "mast" that needs 3 guy wires added.

I've got a roof with concrete tiles and cant work out how to install the guy
wires. I've sussed out the neighbourhood and can' see anyone that's done it.

Any ideas on how its done? Some thin stainless strap under the tile & nailed
to the rafter?

Thanks

Re: Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof
Simple way is drill the tile into the timber and use a grommet  for
sealing with a smear of silicone and eyed screw , takes some experience
though not to crack the tile , or use a metal bracket which can be
bought from suppliers , it's like a hook which slides under the tile and
catches . I prefer the eyelets but admit they can be difficult to install

--

Re: Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof

Cheers, I'll google for the hooks online & make my own. If that doesn't work
out I'll drill the tiles - a long tek screw & some silicone ought to do it.

Re: Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof

Try a Solar Panel Installer for some of the U shaped brackets they use

to install mounting rails on tiled roofs.
The bracket slides underneath the bottom of the tile and is nailed or
screwed onto the wooden timber supports under the tile.
No need to modify the tile at all, although you have to remove the
tile to install the bracket.

Re: Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof

Thanks Mauried, I might go the tile drill method as I've got heaps of spare
tiles and the cost will be nil.

Re: Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof
Be sure to use a new masonry bit , you may find sanding the shine off
will assist in getting it to start

--

Re: Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof

Will do, no shine left on my tiles though  :)

Re: Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof
I have a recessed bit for removing pop rivets which is very effective in
making the start

--

Re: Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof

for a 1.5M mast stay bars are normally used instead, but guy wires
will work.

drill* a 8mm** hole through the ridge*** of tiles above
the batten **** and use an 85mm (long) 12/14 roofing screw, *****
seal with neutral cure silicone sealant.

* Drill slowly with even pressure to reduce the risk of cracking the tile.
drill perpendicular to the surface of the tile.

** I think 8mm measure the screw and make the hole big enough that the
the screw slips through without binding, all sizes are from memory
it's been several years since I did this.

*** The most raised high part of the tile's profile, not necessarily the
ridge of the roof, drill throught the central ridge on the upper tile
(and the seam of the tiles underneath, be extra cauthious here the
thinner concreate breaks more easily)

**** The idea is to put a screw through into the wood that supports the tiles,
you'll need to figure out how to hit it from above. If it's old hardwood a
4mm pilot hole will help stop it from splitting, else not needed as roofing
screws are self-drilling.

***** do not overtighten or you'll crack the tile

If you need extra strength strap the batten to the rafters (or trusses) either
side of the screw.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof

Same as atec suggested, it sounds good, cheap too.

Re: Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof

Do it properly in a tradesman like manner and not DYI.
'Non Penetrating Roof Mount for Tile Roof'

Click here and download the PDF:-

http://www.matchmaster.com.au/domestic/installation-hardware/roof-mounts/11mm-um01

Metro...

Site Timeline