Semi OT: Antenna guy wires & tiled roof

Got a new TV antenna with a 1.5m "mast" that needs 3 guy wires added.

I've got a roof with concrete tiles and cant work out how to install the guy wires. I've sussed out the neighbourhood and can' see anyone that's done it.

Any ideas on how its done? Some thin stainless strap under the tile & nailed to the rafter?

Thanks

Reply to
Dennis

Simple way is drill the tile into the timber and use a grommet for sealing with a smear of silicone and eyed screw , takes some experience though not to crack the tile , or use a metal bracket which can be bought from suppliers , it's like a hook which slides under the tile and catches . I prefer the eyelets but admit they can be difficult to install

--
Reply to
atec77

Cheers, I'll google for the hooks online & make my own. If that doesn't work out I'll drill the tiles - a long tek screw & some silicone ought to do it.

Reply to
Dennis

for a 1.5M mast stay bars are normally used instead, but guy wires will work.

drill* a 8mm** hole through the ridge*** of tiles above the batten **** and use an 85mm (long) 12/14 roofing screw, ***** seal with neutral cure silicone sealant.

  • Drill slowly with even pressure to reduce the risk of cracking the tile. drill perpendicular to the surface of the tile.
** I think 8mm measure the screw and make the hole big enough that the the screw slips through without binding, all sizes are from memory it's been several years since I did this. *** The most raised high part of the tile's profile, not necessarily the ridge of the roof, drill throught the central ridge on the upper tile (and the seam of the tiles underneath, be extra cauthious here the thinner concreate breaks more easily) **** The idea is to put a screw through into the wood that supports the tiles, you'll need to figure out how to hit it from above. If it's old hardwood a 4mm pilot hole will help stop it from splitting, else not needed as roofing screws are self-drilling. ***** do not overtighten or you'll crack the tile

If you need extra strength strap the batten to the rafters (or trusses) either side of the screw.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Try a Solar Panel Installer for some of the U shaped brackets they use

to install mounting rails on tiled roofs. The bracket slides underneath the bottom of the tile and is nailed or screwed onto the wooden timber supports under the tile. No need to modify the tile at all, although you have to remove the tile to install the bracket.

Reply to
Mauried

Thanks Mauried, I might go the tile drill method as I've got heaps of spare tiles and the cost will be nil.

Reply to
Dennis

Same as atec suggested, it sounds good, cheap too.

Reply to
Dennis

Be sure to use a new masonry bit , you may find sanding the shine off will assist in getting it to start

--
Reply to
atec77

Will do, no shine left on my tiles though :)

Reply to
Dennis

I have a recessed bit for removing pop rivets which is very effective in making the start

--
Reply to
atec77

Do it properly in a tradesman like manner and not DYI. 'Non Penetrating Roof Mount for Tile Roof'

Click here and download the PDF:-

Metro...

Reply to
Metro