Selling gear with non-standard plugs

What are the formal requirements on local suppliers of imported electrical
devices, in terms of providing something that can be plugged into a standard
GPO? Must the gear be fitted with a native Australian standard 3-pin plug?
Is it OK to leave the foreign plug there, and include an adaptor in the box?
Or is just providing the foreign plug OK?

Re: Selling gear with non-standard plugs

"Bruce Varley"

** All depends if the item is on the "prescribed" list or not.

** Nope.

 It can have an IEC inlet, for example.

** No rules exist for non-prescribed items  -  however AC plug adaptors are
one example.

Of course, consumer law requires that any appliance be usable and safe to
use with 240V power.

....   Phil

Re: Selling gear with non-standard plugs

Broadly what are Prescribed Items?

It is 7 years now since 3 pin plugs had to have insulated pins and it
is 7 years (and More I think) since Domestic Stuff had to come with a
molded 3 pin plug (2pin if Double insulated) but I do not know the
limits of the application of these rules.

--
John G

Re: Selling gear with non-standard plugs

"John G"

** Oops, I intended to post this link:

http://www.saaapprovals.com.au/files/Declaring_Definitions_for_Electrical_Products.pdf

...  Phil

Re: Selling gear with non-standard plugs

http://www.saaapprovals.com.au/files/Declaring_Definitions_for_Electrical_Products.pdf

This section is interesting.......sorry but I couldn't resist........
http://www.saaapprovals.com.au/files/Declaring_Definitions_for_Electrical_Products.pdf

6. Bread Toaster

An electrical appliance which -

(a) is a household type; and

(b) is for toasting bread or similar foods.

Class Specification: AS/NZS 60335.2.9

Re: Selling gear with non-standard plugs

Anecdotal - I've purchased PCs that came with cheap amplified speakers. The
pwr plug on the cord was foreign (two round pins). They were supplied with a
cheap & nasty adapter.

I threw the lot in the bin.

Re: Selling gear with non-standard plugs
Your so brutal Dennis   :-)

Re: Selling gear with non-standard plugs

Thank you.  :)

Site Timeline