Search Google, 1960:s-style

Egad!

I certainly hope that was developed for alphanumeric output; if it was purely for numeric, it would've been a hell of a lot easier to simply have ten pre-formed digits (as did the "Nixie Tube").

It's amazing looking back at the ingeniousness of earlier generations of engineers, having to straddle both electronics and mechanics in order to get something done - something which seems so trivial these days.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Corse it was.

It was never purely numeric.

Yeah, the ASR33 teletype was a mechanical monstrosity compared with the printing terminals that replaced it like the LA36.

Reply to
Rod Speed

chips like to day.

the memory... Try explaining that to the kids

time. Also featured a 250 baud cassette interface for

so wobbly that you'd get motion sickness if you tried

I built my first computer myself from an article in Electronics Australia. My first 'computer' was the EA 'Baby' 2650, with a whopping 256 bytes of RAM and a 110 baud TTY interface - so I also had to build the Applied Technology/ETI dumb terminal (VDU) to use it! (The latter was far more complicated than the former.)

Reply to
yaputya

The 32/33 was quite a neat and simple machine. Or are you thinking of the 28/35 machines - they were much more complicated!

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at http://ozcomponents.com
Search or browse for that IC, capacitor,

Ah yes, punched cards.

How I hated them!

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Sylvia Else wrote

Some loved them. I had to physically remove the 029 and card reader so the dinosaurs couldn't keep using them.

I still use them for writing on.

Reply to
Rod Speed

At least you always had something to write on.

Reply to
T.T.

Try mark sense cards.

They do eventually run out, unfortunately.

Reply to
terryc

It sure could print alpha characters (but upper case only), as well as some special characters like ( ) / * . , etc. There would have been no pressing need for a "numeric only" printer on those keypunch machines

- to see why go to the search link given by Don at the start of this thread, and observe what gets punched if you type 0123456789.

Yep. Any fool can come up with something like:

if Temp < Min then Min=Temp

But it took a really clever bloke to come up with the idea for the old-style minimum and maximum thermometer. Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

As an old BOM dude, we used a minimum thermometer and a maximum thermomter as in 2. The minimum used a barbell that was dragged down with surface tension of the alcohol and the maximum used mercury and a thinner "neck" that caused the column to break and leave a part of the column above it to show max temp. The min was reset with a magnet and the max by shaking/swinging to rejoin the mercury.

Reply to
SG1

Still took a clever bloke to come up with those.

Reply to
Rod Speed

cool!

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
?If Julia is the answer, then what was the stupid question?!?

"If the WORLD as a whole cut ALL emissions tomorrow, the average temperature of
the planet's not going to drop for several hundred years, perhaps over on
thousand years" - Tim Flannery, Climate Commissioner
Reply to
felix_unger