SD card reliability

How reliable are 128gb SD cards? I am thinking of using one in a SONY
vaio ultrabook with 128 Gb ssd drive as extra memory but at $100 or so I
would hope it to last.

Re: SD card reliability

All flash memory has a finite number of write cycles, but unlike SSD drives
where they've developed newer and better technologies to greatly (by two
orders of magnitude) increase their longevity, common SD cards are still
made with older flash technology.

For storage use, you'll have no problems - but if you're going to be writing
to it frequently (definitely _don't_ designate it for storage of your
swapfile), you'll find it failing sooner rather than later.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: SD card reliability

I don't know if this is redundant info now, but a couple of years ago I
set up projectors for an exhibition, playing continuously on repeat. The
source was media players with content on SD cards. Initially there were
problems, that were fixed when the Class 4 cards were exchanged for
Class 10.

Site Timeline