Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

I have a dead HP/Compak NX9110 laptop.  Of course HP have quoted a new
motherboard price that is higher than the value of the laptop.

After investigating a ~3 Hz ticking sound, I have narrowed the problem down
to a MAX1902 multiple output switching regulator which regulates the 3V and
5V supplies.  Nice looking device really.  It looks like the device is being
shut down via the Time/ON5 input.  However, I can't see what is driving this
input (naturally it's a multilayer board making further diagnosis
difficult).

It doesn't seem to be going into current limit, or tripping either the
overvoltage or undervoltage circuits.

What would really help is a mainboard schematic.  Does anyone have one they
can scan, or know where to find one?

Thanks,
Alf

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

You'll never find one; these devices are not serviceable at the
component level and all accessible documentation will, at best, give
you only a subassembly-level guide.

In many cases, if you have standby voltage present on the board and it
won't fully power up for some reason, the signals in question will
trace back to a slave micro that manages power and other misc.
functions. It's usually an 8-bit micro. In modern machines this is
often an all-in-one chip containing the keyboard and pointing device
interface also. Often the "no switch on" decision is being made
internally to that slave micro based on other inputs, the state of
which you have to infer.

I'd try hotwiring the regulator "on" and see what happens - given that
the board is garbage already. However I've rarely been successful at
fixing component-level problems on laptop mainboards; without design
intent information, everything has to be analyzed from first principles.

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

Schematics don't exist outside of the development engineering
organization.  Even the service manuals don't have them.

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

A company named SAMS used to reverse engineer electronic devices and
then make a schematic for it as well. I recall they did this for many
computers back in the 80's. I don't know if they are still around. As
they went back for decades for TVs and radios. I should still have my
SAMS schematics for my Commodore VIC-20. I have my Commodore SX-64
(first color luggable) schematics straight from Commodore themselves.
Ah... things isn't like this anymore, eh?

--
Bill

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

Technology to do this has become much easier. There's software now that
will take as input standard X-rays of a PCB and create a netlist from
that more or less automatically.

The reason it's not done commercially any more is because the
information is useless. 99% of the time even if you can work out which
part is actually faulty, this merely leads you to "Replace ASIC that
isn't available off the shelf". And the debugging time, at $85 per hour
or more, rapidly approaches the $500 cost of a new machine.

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

You are talking about "Sams Photofacts", and they were not reverse
engineered, they were based on information voluntarily supplied by
manufacturers.  They were the source of information used by repair shops
for TVs, radios, stereos and car radios.  They did some computers and
some monitors back in the 1980's.

They've been around since 1946 and are still in business:

http://www.samswebsite.com/photofacts.html

But you won't find schematics of laptops, in fact I don't think you will
generally find computers at all.

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

In all the years I've been dealing with Wintel personal computers and notebooks,
I have never seen a vendor-supplied schematic for a board.   The best one can
hope for is a very good service manual with decent drawings showing how to take
apart a notebook, the order of removing things, and drawings of photos of
individual parts.   Dell and IBM/Lenovo have been consistently good at providing
such info.   HPaq not quite so good, but I have gotten a few Compaq notebook
service manuals.  Ditto Gateway/eMachines.  But then Toshiba and Sony provide
nothing at all to the consumer in the way of system maintenance info... Ben
Myers

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

notebooks,

   Commodore released manuals with schematics for their 8088 and 80286
IBM clones.  I had originals of each, about 10 years ago.

prove it.
Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

Actually, now that you mention it, I think that IBM's reference manuals for the
PC XT and/or the PC/AT may have had some crude circuit diagrams.  But those were
a long time ago, back when circuit boards were single layer... Ben Myers

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:40:12 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"

notebooks,

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

[snip]

Really? Sams Photofacts claims reversed engineering like I said.

*** PHOTOFACT« is recognized as the world's best and most accurate
service documentation available today. For over 55 years, Sams has used,
and continues to use, a process called "reverse engineering" to create
Photofact. Reverse Engineering is a process in which the equipment is
disassembled and each component and circuit is checked and documented.
Each Sams schematic is drawn accurately in a consistent, standardized
format which makes it easy to use and simple to understand. ***

--
Bill

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

Yeah I know, isn't that something? I started having trouble when things
came out with muli-layer boards. I guess it is called progress! :(

--
Bill

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

Hello Bill
Do you have by any chance a circuit diagram for the English made Commodore
C64.
I have 3 faulty C64 and one complete working and one without sound.
Want to tackle them sometime in the future.
Greetings
Bert

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

I have the service manual for a Commodore SX-64 in storage, which is
electronically the same. But 8-bit computers like the Commodores are
easy to repair even without a schematic. See:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/c64/manuals/c-diag10.txt

No sound is usually the SID chip, 6581

--
Bill

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

Not quite. No sound is often the power supply. The only things on the
C64 board that require the 9VAC are the audio and a passthrough to the
user port. Not all flavors of the C64 PSU put out 9VAC, so mixing and
matching the PSUs can lead to no sound.

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

Oh okay, I stand corrected! Thanks zwsdotcom  ;)

--
Bill

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

Don't know about English made, but the Programmer's Reference Guide
for my C64 had
a schematic in the back.
mike

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

Still being done ... see the experts... http://www.bomarc.org /
http://www.bomarc.org/

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

Hahahaha... I have some Roswell control panels I need to have reversed
engineered. They sound perfect. Thanks again!  :D

--
Bill

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

[...]

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, as I have used the FCC
website before. But supposedly anything with a FCC number, had to file a
schematic with the registration. I never thought about computers, but I
have gotten schematics for other devices before. Might be worth a shot.
<grin>

http://www.fcc.gov /

https://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/coresWeb/simpleSearch.do

The second one takes you to the search page, I hope. <grin>

--
Bill

Re: Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

No longer true, one need only file a block diagram describing process flow
and voltages. MB schematics for computers have been deemed proprietary.
--
James

Visit the Thinkpad Forums