scart

Is scart now defunct? Does new equipment still use it?

Reply to
F Murtz

**The only stuff I ever see it on now are Foxtel boxes. I can't recall if the latest ones still use it or not.

-- Trevor Wilson

Trevor Wilson

The poms seem to use it but I was having a talk with a group of friends and no one had heard of scart.

Reply to
F Murtz

You must have young friends lol

--
John G.
Reply to

no,old non technical farts

Reply to
F Murtz

It is still used on virtually every analogue video device on sale in Europe. Prick of a design, flimsy and no way of locking it in, particularly bad if you have a fat, heavy cable attached.

Reply to
yaputya

I still see it on some items, even a few set top boxes, Becoming a lot less common though. Have yet to see a SCART being used though, everyone just uses the RCA sockets.

I remember some of the TEAC TV's a decade or so back would use this as the only form of AV input, and these sets wouldn't stay on the AV "channel" when you turned the power on/off.

IIRC you had to pull one pin to a 3 or 12 v ? voltage in order to externally force AV mode.

For that matter, does anything use DIN plugs anymore - like were on most HIFI gear in the 70's ? :)

Reply to
kreed

It is still used on European TVs. My new Loewe Art still has a Scart connector and I use it. The Loewe apparently uses it to convey control information to compatible attached devices. We currently have a Scart connector to the Loewe video recorder and the cable TV box

--

Krypsis
Reply to

I seem to remember that you had to short 2 pins on the interface, I had a French Tompson TV that I used as a monitor on my first home computer, an Atari. I had a switch connected into the SCART connector that switched between the TV and the computer.

Strangely enough I also had an Akai TV that had a SCART connector, maybe that model was also sold in Europe.

Haven't seen them for years except in the bins at Jaycar.

Reply to
keithr